Ranches near Jasper

Feb 17th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Ranches near Jasper

I am travelling to Canada in July with my family and would like to know if anyone can recommend anywhere to stay near Jasper, preferably the Kamloops side of Jasper. I would like to stay on a ranch or in a cabin. If anyone can advise I will be grateful, thanks.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:28 PM

Ceedee,
I am not really familiar with guest ranches, but judging from the topogrpahy of the area around Jasper, and the population density (very sparse), I think that you will have a very long drive from Jasper to any suitable guest ranches in B.C. ("the Kamloops side of Jasper").
Here is a website that you may find helpful:
http://www.bcguestranches.com/map_location.htm

Good luck!!
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Hi.

Not really sure what you'll find on the Kamloops side of Jasper. Taking the highway from Jasper to Mount Robson, I assume?

I travelled from Jasper to PG and didn't see all that many places.

Cabins in Jasper - there are a few places around that would suit you. There are the Jasper House Bungalows. They have some cute cabins. Nothing fancy but some back onto the Athabasca river. Lots of elk and directly across the highway from the Tram and campground. I can't recall the mountain name. Sorry. They are about 5-10 minutes away from Mainstreet Jasper.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Hi Ceedee,

I'm not sure what it is you want. The town of Jasper is situated in a national park of the same name, Jasper National Park. There are no ranches within the national park.

There are some cabins on the edge of Jasper townsite and within a short drive of the townsite, as Kara_ann indicated. There are previous discussion threads about cabins in the vicinity of Jasper townsite. Also, if you asked a specific question about that, I'm sure some Fodorites would step up to the plate with some answers.

Kamloops is 280 miles from the town of Jasper. If you want to stay in a guest ranch in the general vicinity of Kamloops, I would not be able to do any better than Borealis did in pointing you to a website about British Columbia guest ranches.

I hope you find something you like.
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for answering. We are staying first at Kicking Horse River for 3 nights. Then we want to stay somewhere in between there and Kamloops for 2 nights. 1 night in Kamloops and then on to Vancouver Island. Is this too far to go? Thanks again.
Feb 18th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Not exactly what you asked for and I'm not sure how it is with recent ownership changes but you could consider the Douglas Lake Ranch, a 'real' working ranch. It's a bit out of the way, northeast of Merritt.

http://www.douglaslake.com/