Reload this Page >

Banff/Jasper wildlife & icefields

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Susan

I am planning a trip to Banff/Jasper in June 2003 with my elderly parents and would like to know where our best chances would be to see large wildlife from the road, such as bear. <BR><BR>Also, since we will only have 4 days to spend in this area, I was wondering if it would be be a good idea to stay in one area (Lake Louise or Banff) and drive 1/2 way on the Icefields Parkway and back again as opposed to going all the way to Jasper. Would it be foolish to miss Jasper when we are that close?<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Keri

Susan,<BR>If you want to see wildlife head up to Jasper. The area is less developed and wildlife encounters are more likely. Last time we stayed there, deer came up to our door at the Jasper Park Lodge (that was a few years ago). You will most likely see big-horned sheep on the side of the road (obey the speed limits - they are there to reduce the possibility of road kill!). We once saw a moose which was thrilling! We have usually seen a bear on the side of the road in the Jasper area and sometimes near Banff. Make sure you stay in your car with your windows rolled up. It amazes me the number of people that get out and take pictures. Besides risking an attack they are making the bears more accustomed to humans, less fearful and they in turn can become problem bears that might be destroyed (sorry for the lecture but my neice is a park interperter and she has some sad stories to tell!). <BR>The scenery is spectacular. Do take the tour to the Icefields and enjoy the beauty. <BR>Have fun!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:30 AM
x

if you don't have to drive back to banff then definitly go to jasper for a night or two. if you have to go back to banff to return a car or whatever, then i'd probably say stay in banff and just do a day drive down part of the parkway. <BR>don't get your hope up too high for seeing a bear...i've been to banff & jasper probably 20 times and have only seen a bear once for a brief second. <BR>when driving from banff to lake louise, take hwy 1A instead of the main hwy. it's quieter and i've seen wildlife there. you'll pass johnson's canyon which is a good place to walk. it's uphill but not too stenuous.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Julie

Logistics:<BR>We were in the Jasper and Banff National Parks at the beginning of September. We started in Jasper, where we stayed two nights in a B&B, then drove via the Icefields Parkway to Lake Louise, where we stayed 4 nights. We visited Banff from LL (only 45 minute drive). I found this to be a good solution for visiting the main sites from Jasper to Banff. We picked up the car in Edmonton and dropped it off in Calgary. I think, however, another alternative would have been to extend the trip and go down in direction Kananaskis (sp?) country.<BR><BR>I did not really like Banff townside. Too many tourists. In Jasper we stayed in the B&B "Home Away From Home." In LL we stayed in the Paradise Bungalows. Both were very nice. <BR><BR>Wildlife:<BR>As for wildlife, we saw barely any. I was quite surpised given the amount of warnings. We did see fairly fresh bear tracks when doing the hike around Bow Lake. We saw Elk on the grounds of the Jasper Park Lodge - sure they were put there for the tourists ;-) We also saw elk once on the side of the road not far from Jasper in direction Lake Louise. In the Banff area I doubt you would see much due to the amount of tourists. Agree with previous poster that in Jasper you have better chances.<BR><BR>BTW: the Marble Canyon is also a nice walk - not too steep or difficult and very pretty.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Gayle

Susan -- I, too, am planning a trip to Banff and Jasper with my elderly parents. I notice it's been a while since your post (so perhaps you won't be checking this site), but I was wondering if you've heard of any short hikes, etc., that are rewarding but not too strenuous? Thanks, Gayle

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Bob Brown

I have lost count of the number of times I have driven all or part of the Icefields Parkway. I can make quite a few suggestions. <BR><BR>My major suggestion is: go all the way to Jasper.<BR>Why not try to book a room at the Icefields Chalet at the place where the ice cats go out on the glacier? Rooms there are a little on the high side, but the view, glacier side, is grand. <BR><BR>There are several interesting sights around Jasper. I like Mount Edith Cavell and the Angel Glacier. <BR><BR>Also along the way there are several interesting water falls. Some of them are off the road a ways, but Athabasca Falls are fairly close to the road.<BR><BR>Some people say they don't want to drive it all the way twice. Well, poohey. I do think it looks the same going the opposite way, not in the least. You get a different angle and a different perspectice. <BR><BR>Lake Louise is not the only show in town in that area. Don't forget Takkakaw Falls in Yoho Park as well as Emerald Lake. Also Moraine Lake is one of the most inspiring sights I have seen in a long time. <BR><BR>There is a lot to see in that area, and our problem will be too little time.<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:24 PM
rk

June may be early for a lot of the animals, you will see lots of elk. Do drive highway 1A between Banff and L.L. at least once in your trip. Also drive out on the golf course at the Banff Springs for elk, not as many as a few years ago but a good opportunity. Bears in June are most likely around Lake Louise area. Not by the famous lake, too many people, but around the highway and campsites. Remember a bear sighting is very rare at any time. Up the icefields parkway, a chance to see bighorn sheep norht of the glacier area, and goats north of Sunwapta Falls. NO THEY DO NOT PUT THE ELK AT JASPER PARK LODGE FOR THE GUESTS. This is a natural corridor for the animals and the lodge is in THEIR way not the other way around as stated in a previous message. To see an animal of any kind in the rockies is special and you must be in the right place at the right time. Have fun, its a great place to visit, lucky that I live in Calgary, and this is all on my doorstep one hour away.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:47 AM
DS

Yes, do take the 1A route bet. Banff and Lake Louise. We went that route this past XMas holidays and it was simply breathtaking. Although the speed limit is slower than that of Hwy1, it's well worth it. We also came across a cayote during the drive- the little guy was trying to cross the road!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Hiker

I always see wildlife in Jasper but rarely in Banff. The trans canada (road that runs through banff) has a big fence along most of it to prevent wildlife straying near the highway. In Jasper there is no such fence. Anyway you are more likely to see wildlife if you know where to go. The drive from hinton to Jasper has the most chance of having sheep, elk and deer by the road. Bears near the town-site and on the icefields park way.