Guest ranches - Jasper/Banff

Jan 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Guest ranches - Jasper/Banff

DH and I have not been able to agree on what we should do this summer, but it looks like we might agree on Banff/Jasper and then west. I thought a night or two at a guest ranch might be fun - does anyone have any suggestions?
Jan 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM

There is no such thing. Jasper and Banff are both national parks, and outside of the townsites or a few outlying resorts, the land is all untouched wilderness.

I'm sure there are some in Alberta - it's just that you won't find them in the national parks.

Try the provincial tourism site: www.travelalberta.com
Jan 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM

The first that comes to mind is the Rafter 6 Ranch which is just west of Banff park and Canmore. I have no personal experience with them so can't comment much. I've just driven by the turn off sign many, many times on my way to the mountains. Of course, it may be quite a busy/touristy place that close to Banff. I'm sure there's others closer to Banff and I know there's a few outside of Jasper park as well. These may be more quiet/secluded if that's what you're after.

As a day trip, there's the Bar U Ranch close to Longview which is a national historic site. There's no overnight accomodation, so that's not an option.
Jan 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
ltt

i think there are some in the hinton area which isn't too far from jasper
Jan 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM

There are ranches in BC, since you mention heading west. You don't say whether you want a 'roughing it' type of ranch or more upscale.

Some are listed here.
http://www.bcguestranches.com/ranches.htm

You could also check out the Flying U Ranch - the only one I know of where you can ride on your own.
http://www.flyingu.com/

Douglas Lake Ranch is a 'real' working cattle ranch but I don't know if they offer any riding at all.
http://www.douglaslake.com/
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. KNP- sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant in the vicinity of Banff or Jasper. I will check out the BC end, too - thanks for the links, April.