Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What are the clothing styles in Australia? (Queensland)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't laugh... if this is trivial for you exotic travel types, then just pass this thread by! Coming for two weeks in June and need to know! Give me an idea of what you would wear to a nice restaurant, to a Catholic Mass etc... Do people "dress" to go shopping or out for lunch? (I'm just asking because here in Southern California tourists stick our like a sore thumb!)
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Smart casual is the way to go and some of the fashions in this area are truly top class so you may want to have a clothes spend up in Hastings St, Noosa or Mooloolooba where there are some terrific boutiques. If in Brisbane obviously the dress for office employees etc might be more corporate but you are on holiday so no need to go that far. For restaurants again smart casual but try to dispense with the runners for dinner outings. Also T shirts at dinner restaurants is a no no but guarantee you will see some people in them.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty casual is the norm - shorts and tops or a sundress for the day, trousers or a dress for dinner. In tourist areas, some people wear the same thing (shorts and t-shirt) all day and to dinner. It depends on how dressy/expensive the restaurant is. 3/4 cargo pants are very 'in', as are singlet tops. On a warm Queensland evening, to a nice restaurant, I'd suggest a summer dress and sandals, maybe bring a long sleeved top to throw over your dress if it gets cool later. For your husband (if you have one and if he's coming!) trousers and a shirt or polo shirt would be fine.<BR>Kay
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I wasn't going to pack any tennis shoes, and I am planning to shop! Each place we are staying has laundry facilities as well, so I think I'll pack a few favorites and then purchase some new favorites! What are prices like? You mentioned boutiques, any specific one? I appreciate it.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:02 PM

To a &quot;nice&quot; restaurant I would wear black pants or nice dress/skirt and top, heals etc. Smart casual for shopping and going out to lunch, we don't tend to &quot;dress up&quot; for these occasions unless you are going to an expensive restaurant for lunch. As the others said cargo (combat) wear is in again this year for casual day wear. Go shopping in the Queen Street Mall in Brisbane and check out the Myer Centre and Wintergarden Centre etc. while you're there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM

Please be aware that June is our winter, and it can be very cold to warm depending on where you're going. The tropics like Cairns to Rockhampton would be warm, not hot, with cool evenings - wear a light jacket or cardigan in the evenings. In general people only get dressed up to go shopping in Brisbane, to a restaurant or out at night. Smart casual the rest of the time. If you are travelling west of the Great Dividing Range (Toowoomba) and west, it is COLD! Where are you going?
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

We'll be in Brisbane for four nights before driving up the coast to Port Douglas(several nights on the road) for a few days before flying back home. Am I correct to assume that Brisbane will be cooler and as we go North, the weather will be warmer, more tropical... perhaps a bit humid? Unfortunately, we won't be going west on this trip. (I'd love too someday) Thank you all!