Where to stay in Quebec City

Jan 18th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Tanya

Where to stay in Quebec City

What are my options in Quebec City in choise of B&B or small hotels? I am looking for something not too expensive, and quiet.

Jan 20th, 2003, 08:57 AM
David

Tanya,

Last September we stayed at a hotel in Lower Town called Hotel des Coutellier (hoteldescoutellier.com). This is a small (24 rooms) and moderately priced hotel located on Rue St.-Paul right across from the marina. The staff was friendly, the room was spacious and well equipped, and the location was excellent. We were right near the heart of the art and antique district and there were many great restaurants and boutiques nearby. I know that people are often posing the question “upper or lower town?” and, after vastly exploring both, I have to say that I would probably stay in lower town again.

While not a full-service hotel, the Hotel des Coutellier does offer basic services such as dry cleaning, etc., and, the small but capable staff will even deliver room service from the restaurant next door. One of the best features of this hotel; however, is their continental breakfast. At 7am each morning the front desk clerk sneaks up to your room (they didn’t awaken us once) and hangs a picnic basket of goodies on a hook by your door. The basket contains croissants, muffins, yoghurt and juice…and you don’t have to leave your room! This was a really nice touch.

One last thing I would like to add is that the hotel is run by a man named Jean-Sabastien Page who is a veritable font of useful information on everything from restaurants to history to excursions. I picked his brain for information often and he was only too happy to oblige. We would definitely stay at the Hotel des Coutellier again.

Hope this helps,

Strive

Jan 21st, 2003, 03:00 AM
Valerie

Tanya, I have stayed at the Hotel des Coutellier, and liked it a lot.

However, you might like being in the center of things and stay at the Auberge du Tresors at the Place d'Armes which is really right across the street from the Chateau Frontenac. I like the rooms that overlook the square and surprisingly I found it quiet even though it was in the center of things.

It only costs around $79 Canadian (depending on season. Hope this helps.

Jan 21st, 2003, 04:52 AM
zootsi

There are lots of small b&b's on rue St. Ursurle in the heart of the old city. We stayed at the James Thompson. Here is the url:
http://www.bedandbreakfastquebec.com/

Jan 21st, 2003, 05:31 PM
martha

I just got a really good deal on what appears to be a great little hotel in the historic area of Quebec City. Its called Hotel Le Saint-Paul. I booked it through Citybase.com and cost me $97 US for one night. They have a website - and its listed under fodors hotels in canada. We happen to be going at the end of their Winter Carnival (Jan 31-Feb 16) which meant we could not find a vacancy just about anywhere! Not sure when you are going - but you may want to consider that in your planning.

Feb 20th, 2003, 02:42 PM

This message is for Martha. Am interested in getting feedback re: your stay at Hotel Le Saint Paul. Am considering it as our hotel in May for a group of 5 women friends. Thanks!
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:42 AM

Hi, my husband and I just returned from a wonderful winter vacation in Quebec City. We stayed 2 nights at the Saint Paul and were quite pleased. On the upside, it has good amenities as the hotels tend to be more "european" style, so often don't come with TVs, hairdryers, phones in room or other conveniences we're used to in chain hotels. The front desk staff is awesome. We took the package with a dinner at "Le continental" restaurant which was a wonderful fine dining experience. On the downside: the rooms were a bit worn, the place appealed to more of a family crowd and the room above us was quite noisy, and it is not the closest venue to most of the attractions you'll want to see: 10 minutes to Rue de Petit Champlain/Place Royal, and a long hike (or short funciular ride) to Haute Ville. Our last 3 nights we stayed at a 9 room hotel Maison du Fort on Rue Ste Genevieve, it was simply exceptional. http://www.quebecweb.com/maisondufort/introang.html Absolutely clean, our room (6) was spacious, had a TV, hairdryer, 2 lovely wing chairs to relax in and 2 beds. The landlady, Madame Roy, was so charming and the 2 cats in residence visited us for breakfast every day! Wonderful location steps from the Chateau Frontenac and verrrry quiet. The only slight downside is that the rest of the upper town is downhill (meaning uphill to get home) but we made the climb several times a day with no ill effects.
Enjoy your trip!
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:22 AM

To Jennie16 and anyone else,

My friend and I are staying at the Hotel Le Saint Paul in early May also, a girls getaway trip. We've never been to Quebec so we're not sure what to expect at that time of year.We are interested in antiques, photography, sightseeing and good food and wine (we work at a vineyard). We won't have a car. Are there convenient ways of getting around without one? Any suggestions of places to visit would be great.Thanks.