Any advice on a nice but not too pricey hotel (or B&B) in Quebec City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any good ideas? I am looking to go this Fall for one or two nights.

Merci!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 12:44 PM

mlynnvt,

Our last two times in Quebec City (granted the most recent was 1 year ago) we stayed at a hotel in Lower Town called Hotel des Coutellier (hoteldescoutellier.com). This is a small (24 rooms) and moderately priced hotel located on Rue St.-Paul right across from the marina. The staff was friendly, the room was spacious and well equipped, and the location was excellent. We were right near the heart of the art and antique district and there were many great restaurants and boutiques nearby. I know that people are often posing the question ?upper or lower town?? and, after vastly exploring both, I have to say that I would probably stay in lower town again.

While not a full-service hotel, the Hotel des Coutellier does offer basic services such as dry cleaning, etc., and, the small but capable staff will even deliver room service from the restaurant next door. Also, at 7am each morning the front desk clerk sneaks up to your room (they didn?t awaken us once) and hangs a picnic basket of goodies on a hook by your door. The basket contains croissants, muffins, yoghurt and juice?and you don?t have to leave your room! This was a really nice touch.

One last thing I would like to add is that the hotel was run by a man named Jean-Sabastien Page who is a veritable font of useful information on everything from restaurants to history to excursions. I picked his brain for information often and he was only too happy to oblige. We would definitely stay at the Hotel des Coutellier again.

AL
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:39 AM

There are lots nice of small hotels and b&b's on or near Rue St. Ursule in the old city. Manior James Thompson is one of the nicer b&b's.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:23 AM

Hotel Le Priori.

Ross
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Auberge St. Pierre
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Hotel St Paul ...on rue St Paul, lower town. They share an entrance to a wonderful, intimate French resturant, our favorite that's called Peche Veniel (Veniel Sin). We enjoy it so much that it's my screen name. We travel there 3 or 4 times a year and love the place! Have a great time.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:59 AM

peche and Al LaCarte - I'd just like to second your recommendations, and say THANKS for posting them!

I just got back, and stayed at the Hotel Des Couteliier (loved it!), and ate at Le Peche Veniel - excellent meal! Definitely hightlights of the trip.

Karen