Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where did you enjoy eating in Halifax? (and toward Peggy's Cove)

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will spend a week somewhere between Halifax and Peggy's Cove. Where did you most enjoy a meal in that area? What did you have? How were prices?
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Hello

Maybe two kilometers southeast of Dartmouth in a place called Fisherman's Cove, and at a restaurant (maybe Wharf Wraps, my memory perhaps eludes me) there, the fish (I think I got haddock?) was delicious, fresh and succulent. Unpretentious place, reasonably-priced, I wondered if some of the customers worked on the fishing/lobster boats. Bit out-of-the-way, mostly off the tourist map (eclipsed by Peggy's Cove), Fisherman's Cove was one of my favorite areas for Maritime ambience near Halifax.

I liked Satisfaction Feast in downtown Halifax for vegetarian (that one has been years though I've not been). By Historic Properties, I did enjoy Salty's for seafood too, if you prefer not to leave the downtown area (preferred F. Cove though).

Best wishes, Daniel
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:31 AM

Nothing piques my Nova Scotia eating interest more than the "McLobster" (available seasonally at McDonalds in the Maritimes).

There is just something to be said for dining on Lobster at McDonalds!!
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I remember the McLobster from our trip 15 years ago!! We will have to get one.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:35 AM

There are a lot of great restaurants in downtown Halifax, any particular price range or food interests?

Chickenburger in Bedford. Ok, you may say nothing special until you try one of their chickenburgers. Have been in existence for upteen years (at least 50+). Simple, steamed chicken in a bun. The old building hasn't changed much. Burgers and their fish and chips are excellent too. http://www.chickenburger.com/main.php

Esquire on the Bedford Highway - has been there forever. People tend to make a weekly pilgrimage for the daily specials. Especially good chowder!

Jim's Pizza House - Bedford Highway - close to Mt. St. Vincent University. Ok, if you haven't eaten here before it is a real treat. Get a seat overlooking the harbour. Great food - even better prices. To die for deep fried whole clams, great homemade soups, pizzas, fish, you name it - its delicious!

Hand-cut french fries from the truck in front of the Library on Spring Garden Rd is a must-do. Sit and people watch. Just look for the crowds.

Across the way from the Library is a little place called the Fireside. Always great food and good prices. Martini nights on Monday - very busy!

The Granite Brewery on Barrington St is another great location. Pub with upscale food.

On the waterfront in downtown Halifax at Historic Properties, you can get a full lobster dinner from John's plus other fresh seafood you get to pick out of their showcase. Good brewpub located there as well. Sit on the water and enjoy!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Unfortunately there are no eateries I would steer you to near Peggy's Cove - they are not falvourful, just tourist traps! In Halifax, I love breakfast at Saege, lunch at Il Mercato, Janes on the Common or Fid, and dinner at Chives. In Dartmouth, grab a coffee and croissant at Two if By Sea (do not miss this place!) and dinner at Nectar. Fisherman's Cove is a wonderful place to visit, but I find their fish a bit greasy.

Excellent seafood at the Salt Shaker in Lunenburg if you don't mind a scenic drive!