Ontario, Minnett, The Rosseau

Sep 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Ontario, Minnett, The Rosseau

Hello,
We are arriving in Toronto via rail from Vancouver and thought that we would explore the area for a few days in mid-October. My husband likes more of the rural environment, and I found this resort, that we can get close to by rail via Toronto to Banbridge and then rent a car to get to hotel. Has anyone explored this area or have any suggestions on this or what to see and do? Thanks!
Sep 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Lake Rousseau is in the heart of Muskoka, one of the prime vacation areas in Ontario. It is beautiful in the fall, although the leaves may have passed their prime for colour by that time.

I think that you mean to take the train to Bracebridge, not Banbridge.

For things to do and see in Muskoka, try this site:

http://www.discovermuskoka.ca/
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Are you talking about The Marriott?
Oct 1st, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am talking about the Marriott. Have you stayed there or do you know anything about the property? Thanks.
Oct 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM

I have not stayed @ the JW Marriott Rosseau. It's a new development that opened in the past year...I think it opened in December, 2008 so it has not even been open a year.
It is part of the troubled Red Leaves resort development. The developer of the JW Marriott Rosseau & Red Leaves is Rosseau Resort Development Inc which was forced into receivership in May, 2009 for failure to make loan payments. That's all I can tell you.
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I hope the property is well maintained!
Oct 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM

Lisbon, You may also want to consider taking the train from Toronto (Union Station) to Huntsville which is about 30 minutes North of Bracebridge. It's about a 3hr train ride Toronto/Huntsville. www.ontarionorthland.ca
Then take a 5 minute cab ride from the Huntsville train station to a car rental agency.
Check out Delta Grandview or Deerhurst Resort (10 minutes East of Huntsville on Highway 60....very easy drive).
From Grandview or Deerhurst you are only 30 minutes to the West gate of Algonquin Park....absolutely beautiful!! Especially in the Fall (Google Algonquin Park for more info). That would be a perfect "day trip" for you.
Or, you could stay @ a place like Killarney Lodge on the lake (Two Rivers) in Algonquin Park but make sure that they will be open when you are in Ontario. I think they may close after Canadian Thanskgiving which is Oct 12 this year.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
LJ

I am with OceanBreeze. Any of those suggestions (Deerhurst, Killarney,even Fern Resort near Orillia) are way more authentic Ontario vacations that the brand new and famously financially-troubled Marriot. A friend attended a business meeting there a few weeks ago and described it as "soul-less"...and said the food was very "Sysco".
Oct 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thanks so much for the information about the Marriott. We had decided that we would get a car in Toronot and just drive there so that we could explore the arez. We were going there because I have Marriott points and thought that would be good. However, from what you are saying, we should reconsider.

Fo you know of any Marriott properties in Eastern Canada that we should stay for our 5 days? We do not want to go to Montreal as we spent 6 months there working..and have seen all around Quebec. Thanks..we leave on Sunday for the train from Vancouver to Toronto and then from there...thanks, again for any info you can provide.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Good idea to rent a car in TO. Car rental agencies are located v/ close to the TO train station.
Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Ocean Breeze1,

What can we explore around the Marriott area that would be interesting..we will be there for 5 days..thanks, Lisbon
Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM

If you aren't locked into the JW, there is a new Residence Inn by Marriott on the wharf at Gravenhurst ON. This would be about 3 hrs drive from TO, depending on traffic. We haven't been, but reviews are positive.

The JW turnoff is at Minett, which is about 40 mi north of Gravenhurst via Port Carling. Nice drive and some foliage viewing should still be available unless the rain/wind continues over the next week.

JW is rather isolated -- fair drive into Port Carling/Bracebridge/Gravenhurst if you don't want to eat in house. Unfortunately it's getting mixed reviews as I suspect there may still be some management logistics to work out.

There are a couple of small casual restaurants in Rosseau plus try Rebecca's near Port Carling. Just tossing out a few ideas.
http://www.rebeccasfinedining.com/index.html
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM

Lisbon, Sorry, I am not familiar w/ the Minett area which is where the Marriott you have mentioned is located. With 5 days you can cover a lot of "cottage country". Did you get a chance to Google Algonquin Park, Deerhurst Resort, Delta Grandview and Killarney Lodge?
Oct 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it looks like Algonquin park may be driveable.
Oct 6th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Algonquin Park would be about a 2 - 2.5 hr drive from the JW Rosseau.
You would return to Reg. 632 (Minett), north to Reg. 141 (Rosseau), east to Hwy. 11, north on 11 thro Huntsville where you pick up Hwy 60 east to the park.
Coffee shops in Rosseau, Huntsville, and in Algonquin Park. ;-)
Oct 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM

I don't think it wld take 2.5 hours to get to Algonquin Park from Minett.....maybe just over an hour and a half...an hour to Huntsville, then about another 35 minutes from Huntsville to the West gate of Algonquin Park.
Oct 9th, 2009, 03:59 AM

Have driven it --from the JW roads are single lane for the most part, winding, speed at 40-50 mph at best along most of the route and often little opportunity to pass slow moving traffic. From the Marriott to the visitor centre in AP It does take longer than you expect. Plan accordingly.
Oct 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Hi Lisbon,
I've been to the Marriot. It's spectacular. They went broke because they made it soooo nice. Way out of Grandview's league. If you have points, stay there, and they probably can pick you up in Bracebridge to save you the car rental. Great views and good golfing at the Rock and many other resorts nearby. Best Muskoka resort....by far. Also, go for a drink at Windermere house, famous Olde Muskoka resort. You're right, it's not that far from Marriot to AP, 1.5 hrs max.
Oct 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information...We are still booked at the JW for 5 nights..but could change to the Gravenhurst Residence Inn..still undecided.

We will want to have a car as we are not golfers, and will want to explore recreational areas, scenery, see small towns, parks, etc.

We read about the Cranberry Festival next weekend and see that it is based from somewhere around Gravenhurst.

I hear that the JW has full kitchens so we would be cooking in, where would be purchase groceries for the week if we stayed at JW? Gravenhurst seems to be a larger town and I would expect to find grocery stores there. Is there a lot more to do around Gravenhurst?? Thanks for all the info..we arrive on Tuesday..will stay through Sunday.

Lisbon
Oct 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

And yes, we are doing this hotel on Marriott points, so it is either the JW or the RI. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO