Halifax and St. John-help!

Jun 13th, 2004, 08:04 AM
skeeter

Halifax and St. John-help!

Dear Fodorites,

We will be in Halifax and St. JOhn for one day a piece in mid June. Please tell us where to get the best lobster and sites not to be missed!
Thank you!

Jun 13th, 2004, 11:57 AM

In Halifax, see the Maritime Museum of the Atlantics's exhibits on the Titanic and Halifax explosion and the noontime ceremony at the Citadel. Stroll through the beautiful Halifax Public Gardens if the weather is nice.
Jun 14th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Laura, the Public Gardens are beautiful but have been devastated by Hurricane Juan last year. the majestic old trees are gone and it will be years before the gardens are restored to its original state.

As for lobster, try Salty's or Murphy's on the Water. You can get a good lobster meal right in Historic Properties at the upscale foodmarket at John's Seafood for a reasonable price.
Jun 15th, 2004, 09:03 PM

I am not sure about this but I have been told you should look for a hall which puts on a feast for lobster dinners. Maybe someone can advise you if this is so. Apparently it is amazing and reasonable for the amount of food they offer
Jun 16th, 2004, 04:40 AM

I have to vote against Murphy's in Halifax for food. It is mediocre at best and overpriced. Complete tourist trap.

The best deal going in Halifax is the early bird specials at McKelvie's. Half priced entrees, great food, lots of different beers on tap and a great atmosphere.
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM

I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE WEATHER IN EARLY AUGUST.
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Flip a coin - best the weather forecasters can do around here!

The Almanac is calling for a good August. Temps in Nova Scotia have hovered around 20 celcius with the odd day in the high 20's. Evenings have been on the cool side. July appears to have given us lots of rain but probably more cloud than anything. Halifax has been experiencing a lot of fog/drizzle but when the sun shines, it is beautiful!