Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

McKelvie's or Salty's for Halifax Seafood Dinner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:03 PM
jj

Tried Salty's on our last visit. First dinner was fine, second was a disappointment. Thought we'd try McKelvie's this time - any opinions?<BR><BR>Also thinking about dinner at deMaurizio. Any advice appreciated.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:45 PM
Jim Rosenberg

We liked McKelvie's for it's ambiance --certainly not too overstated, but still a great place and obviously very popular. Try the "Too Good Fish Fry" for a great selection of seafood that won't send you away hungry.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Tanya

In my opinion, if you want good seafood, try John's Seafoods in the Harbourside at Halifax Historic Properties. While it is a cafeteria style restaurant, you can get great lobster, mussels, fish & chips, chowder, etc. If you like fish cakes, they are excellent! It has been awhile since I have eaten at the Waterfront Warehouse, but there food is good as well.<BR><BR>Da Maurizio is excellent! Also La Perla on the Dartmouth side if you want Italian!<BR><BR>OPA has excellent greek food and great ambience!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Rob

Niether....for "fine dining" seafood I would do the Press Gang. Hipper, better and not touristy.<BR><BR>John's is OK but it's a diner.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Tricia

I really don't like Salty's I think it's overpriced with sub-par food. I too enjoy the Press Gang, DaMaurizio's, Ryan Duffy's and although I've only eaten there once I enjoyed Bish. McKelvie's has always been fine but I haven't been for awhile another one close to McKelvie's that has been good is O'Carroll's.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:21 PM
Karen

Could i suggest a different place? The Granite Brewery on Barrington Street is a fantastic place for a meal and they also brew their own ales on the premises which makes it a bit unique. <BR>I would highly recommend it for their brunch on a Saturday or Sunday....the Eggs Benedict is surperb.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:18 AM
ST

On my recent visit we tried Salty's for lunch, but not McKelvie's. Salty's was fine but nothing memorable. Memorable meals in Halifax were deMaurizio and Bish. I hate to say it, but we were at the bar at the Waterfront Warehouse and witnessed a roach siteing on an inside dinner table.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:26 AM
curiousx

another vote for da Maurizio

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:53 PM
Steve

AVOID SALTY"S! Tourist trap. Mackelvies is much better. Go there you will enjoy it.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:55 PM
steve

Da Maurizio is one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. Go there.