Victoria Romatic Weekend Help

Aug 15th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Johnny Boy

Victoria Romatic Weekend Help

Planning a weekend getaway with my spouse in mid October. Flying to Vancouver and taking float plane to Victoria. I'm stuck on Hotel/Inn/B&B.

I want lots of romance: fireplace, double jacuzzi, intimate, etc..

Abigails and Beaconsfield look good and get good reviews. I would lean to Abigails but 250 USD vs. 190 USD at Beaconsfield is causing me to pause.

Opinions? I know you have them.

Aug 15th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Michele

We go to Victoria 3 or 4 times a year, have stayed in many places (haven't tried Abigails yet, tho), and still think that Spinnakers Guest House (www.spinnakers.com) is tops for romance. Victorian house, jacuzzis, fireplace ... very nice. And, at last report, less expensive than the two you mentioned -- probably because its not right down town.

Aug 15th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Johnny Boy

Thanks for the opinion Michele. I had at one time considered Spinnakers but ruled them out because they weren't downtown. This is our first trip to Victoria. Perhaps I should reconsider them.

Thanks.

Aug 15th, 2002, 10:28 AM
April

I haven't stayed at any of them but I like the location of the Beaconsfield better than Abigails.

Aug 15th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Michele

Spinnakers is about a thirty-minute walk, cheap cabride or very-fun water taxi ride ... We like it because it gets away from the throngs downtown -- but, if you want to be in thick of things, there are wonderful places that are closer in. I've just never stayed in any of them and can't offer an opinion!

Aug 15th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Julia

Hi!

Have you checked out the Ocean Pointe Resort or the Empress? They are such Victoria classics that they should at least be considered - there are often good promotional rates that make them worth the time to do some comparison shopping. The Empress is a bit close to the downtown area, but it is truly a Canadian historical classic.

The Ocean Pointe is across Victoria's Inner Harbor, across the bridge and next to some upscale condos. My husband took me to the Ocean Pointe for our first anniversary and it was wonderful and romantic. It looks across to the government buildings and it is great fun to sit and watch the float planes and ferries and whale-watching expeditions that use the Inner Harbor. There is a great Sunday breakfast earlier than the exquisite Sunday brunch that is great and reasonably priced with many of the same menu items.

One final suggestion, do afternoon tea at Murchies in downtown Victoria and if you like to read, Munro's (next door to Murchies) is an afternoon well-spent indeed. Both Murchies and Munros are within reasonable walking distance to both the Empress and the Ocean Pointe.

Best,
Julia

Aug 15th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Johnny Boy

Julia, both the Empress and Ocean Pointe were on my first list but didn't meet my requirement of a fireplace and jacuzzi. Our itenerary does have tea at the Empress on it but your suggestion of tea at Murchies will have to be considered. Thanks.

Michele, can you explain the logistics of the water taxi? I did some searching on the Victora Visitors site and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Aug 15th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Lynette

Though I have never stayed here, I have alway thought that Humboldt House looks truly romantic. I must say though I am partial to heritage houses.

www.humboldthouse.com
Good luck with your plans

Aug 15th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Michele

The water taxis operate in the inner harbour, run frequently (longest I've waited is 15 minutes or so)and are "catchable" at a dock near (but not AT) Spinnakers, at Ocean Pointe Resort, at the Coast Hotel dock and at the Inner Harbour Marina. Even if you don't use them as transport, they've got nice little tours, too. I'm emailing to you a picture of one. In the fall/winter, I think they run from 9am until 6pm.

Aug 15th, 2002, 06:33 PM
April

They have a website:
http://www.harbourferry.com/homepage.html