Victoria Questions - help please!

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria Questions - help please!

Hi we are two couples planning to visit Victoria in May 2006 (I know its a while yet but I just LOVE planning holidays!). It seems we have a choice of three accommodations, The Worldmark on Inner Harbour, The Royal Victorian Suites on Government Street and The Rosewood Victoria Inn (however this is a B&B so not sure about it in terms of two couples sharing). I would like someone to give us an idea as to which of these is closest to the action.. i.e. restaurants, events, downtown etc. as I am not able to walk great distances. Also as we will be sailing from the Canadian Forces Sailing Association (CFSA) which is adjacent to the Canadian Marine Pacific Fleet Base CFB Esquimalt so would appreciate some idea of how far this is from the potential accommodations. Hope anyone can help!! Thanks in advance
Tina
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Any accommodations in downtown Victoria will be miles away from CFB Esquimalt so you will have to take a taxi to get there.

I am assuming that the Worldmark on Inner Harbour is the building referred to by Victorians as The Penitentiary. It might be a perfectly fine place to stay, but I can't feel positive (or be objective) about an outfit that so ungraciously slammed itself into the neighbourhood. It is at the extreme opposite end of the harbour from Esquimalt, next door to the Coast Hotel but not close to much else.

I am not familiar with The Royal Victorian Suites on Government Street. Is this also a time-share? Is it open yet? Do you have an address?

The Rosewood Inn on Michigan Street is a delightful-looking building, not far from the Inner Harbour and also Beacon Hill Park. I have not heard any reviews on it though since it changed over from Holland House.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi April,
Thanks for the response. Yes it does appear that downtown is miles from the CFB but not a problem, we will get a taxi as you say or hire a car. The Worldmark does have somewhat of a penal air about it doesnt it! Hopefully thats not the only one available! Yes, they are all time share places which we are hoping to swap as we have weeks and weeks banked and find it almost impossible to get a booking we want. The other two do seem much nicer.. the address of Royal Victoria suites is 1413 Government St.
Victoria BC V8W 1Z1
Apparently it has Le Spa Sereine underneath it which may help.
The Holland House one does look nice and all the reviews seem very positive too.. If we cant get swapped we will probably look for somewhere closer to Esquimalt. Thanks for your help so far though..
Regards
Tina
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:41 AM

The Rosewood is a time share? Or is it some other Rosewood than the one I am thinking of?

I'm glad you mentioned the spa because now I know where the Royal Victoria is. Being right downtown I would expect it to be not as quiet as your other two choices. The 'penitentiary' at least is on the harbour. Therefore, assuming the Rosewood is the old Holland House, I would pick them in this order:
1. Rosewood
2. Worldmark
3. Royal Victoria
But I would stay in any of them rather than in Esquimalt.

The Rosewood is short walk from from the Inner Harbour area where there are a number of sights and restaurants (Milestones, Spaghetti Factory, Sam's Deli to name a few). Being in the tourist area, it feels safer to me at night than, say, downtown where you would likely encounter some drunks and more panhandlers. Is this during the Swiftsure by any chance? If so, the Inner Harbour should be buzzing with activity.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi April
No the Rosewood isnt a time share as far as I can make out, its just that RCI are taking some hotels into their points system nowadays. However as RCI only show 3 places in Victoria and 4 in Vancouver the likelyhood of our getting one is remote.. We can still hope tho I guess.

Thank you so much for the information regarding the best places, it certainly makes everything so much easier. If you ever come to England let us help you out hmm??

Re: the Swiftsure, our sailing week is the week before the Swiftsure, now we WERE thinking of travelling back to Vancouver that week.. do you think we should stay for our second week in Victoria? It sounds wonderful!!
Thanks again
Tina

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Hello to you in jolly ol' England, one of my favourite places in the world. I think after a week in Victoria you'll be ready for a change of pace (maybe more than ready), so I would go to Vancouver... or Long Beach, or Banff.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Please consider researching "Victoria Vacation Rentals" on GOOGLE.
I started 1/01/05 looking for a week in Victoria in May, and was truly amazed at the number of WONDERFUL rentals out there. Some are by owner, some by agencies, but all are by week or month.

You will see "virtual tours" of all properties (listed by number of bedrooms) pictures of rooms, maps, what's near, etc. etc and rates.
I personally would never stay in a hotel, preferring to cook a meal or two.
Give it a try, call a few people listed--they always had suggestions for other properties if they couldn't accommodate.
The large companies charged lots more than I wanted to pay, but had many available properties.
I will be visiting friends who live there and will be glad to have a fun place to entertain them for a drink and dinner that I have cooked.

I realized that I was getting really picky (after looking at the pictures) looking for GREAT decor, a large screen TV, a claw foot bathtub, etc, so I just rented a one bedroom flat over Willie's Bistro in the heart of the city. I can't wait!

Good Luck,
Roco