Victoria or Whistler?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:54 PM
Ana

Victoria or Whistler?

Hello,

My husband and I are visiting British Columbia for the first time in early September. We're an young couple who love the outdoors, museums, good restaurants and just want to have a good (and relaxing) time!But we only have seven full days to spend on this trip. We'd like to spend at least three full days in Vancouver and still need to decide between visiting Whistler or Victoria. I heard that the drive to Whistler is gorgeous and the place itself is quite nice. But why would you choose it over Victoria? I also heard that the Butchan Gardens and the Royal British Museum in Victoria are great places to visit. But why would you choose it over Whistler? I know is a hard question, but I'm hoping someone who know both places well will convince me one way or the other. Or I could try to squeeze in both but I'm afraid it might be a bit tiring, don't you think?

Thanks a bunch for your advice!

Ana

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:16 AM
sue

if you want more beautiful scenery, surrounded by mountains, i would pick whistler over victoria. there are some very nice restaurants there and you can stroll thru the village and there should be some entertainment there also. you can go for walks on the many trails, and you can't beat that mountain fresh air. i live in vancouver and went last weekend to whistler and just loved it! wish i was still there. yes, i've been to victoria, which would have different things to do and see, if your more into the museums and high tea at the empress then go there. but you want to relax and love the outdoors, then i would definetly choose whistler! have a great time whatever you decide!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:35 AM
g mitchell

Van Dusen Gardens in Vancouver is larger and equal to or better than Butchart in Victoria. Butchart is private and heavily promoted whereas VanDusen is public and almost not promoted at all. If you are a gardener, you will probably like VanDusen. If you want glitz and a crowded tourist attraction, you will like Butchart.
Just west of Van Dusen is Queen Elizabeth Park which also is public and has lovely gardens.

The BC museum in Victoria is small but great. The Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver is also great.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:21 AM
darlene

I would have to disagree on the "outdoors" comments - both Victoria and Whistler have great outdoor possibilities. Victoria city has wonderful walking opportunities - there is an oceanfront walkway that loops around the Laurel Point Inn, past Fishermans Warf and has beautiful ocean front views. It continues on to Beacon Hill Park - nice gardens, etc. Then you can loop back to the downtown area past some heritage houses etc. - a great trip. Also, drive to Sooke and visit the East Sooke park - lots of fabulous trails. Or continue on Highway 14 to French Beach or Jordon River or Port Renfrew for a fabulous ocean front experience. I just spent 4 days in Victoria and vicinity and didn't even make it to the touristy stuff because the outdoor opportunities were great. Then of course, walking in the city is great - Market Square etc. So, I would say this is a very hard decision as Whistler is excellent also (especially if you rollerblade and cycle).

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:05 PM
Ana

Thank you all very much for your reply! I think I'll pick Victoria this time and leave Whistler for next time. Decisions, decisions...It's so hard when you have so many interesting places to see and not enough time. Oh, well... I'll do the best I can with the time I have and I'm sure we'll have a wonderful visit regardless where we go in BC!

By the way, should I rent a car in Victoria (I'll be there for 1 1/2 day)? I won't have a car in Vancouver as I was told it's not necessary. But should I rent one and take it to Victoria on the ferry or should I rent it there? Or at all? By the way, I'm thinking of staying at the Spinnaker's Guest House . I heard it's nice but I'm afraid it might be a bit too far from the Inner Harbour and restaurants. I can't spend too much money on a hotel though (around $160 CDA would be good which is what they offer). They're located across the Johnson Street bridge. If it's only a 15' walk to the inner harbour as they say, it's fine wtih us. What would be a good location for someone w/o a car? Well, if I end up renting a car, then it shouldn't matter, right (can you find parking all over w/o problems?)?

I appreciate your input!

Have a good one! Ana