Vancouver or Victoria

Search

Vancouver or Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver or Victoria

I will be visiting the area in June with my husband and boys, ages 11 and 16. I have only 3 or 4 days and don't know which city to stay in. We will have already spent a week in Newport,CA. and a week on an Alaskan cruise so I'm sure we won't be up to any fast paced sight seeing. What are the main differences between the two cities and what does anyone recommend?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM

The main differances? Other than both being in the province of BC the two cities are worlds apart. Vancouver is big, cosmopolitan, multi-ethnic, energetic and the most scenic city in North America and one of the tops in the world.

Victoria is quaint, compact, charming and touristy. Victoria can easily be done in a day or two. Vancouver can only be tasted in a day or two.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:40 AM

Amen.

I would stay in Vancouver if I were you. Like GaryA said, Victoria can be explored quickly, whereas Vancouver is 'where the action is'.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:40 PM

I love Victoria - a touch of England in the Western Hemisphere. I would choose Victoria, but if you are concerned there won't be enough to do, then split your time between the two.

Be sure to go to Butchart Gardens, have High Tea at the Empress and just wander the streets. I LOVE Victoria (and like Vancouver).
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Victoria is better, hands down. Vancouver is a bit like Seattle. Victoria is wonderful with horse drawn carriage rides, afternoon tea, Butchart Gardens, Killer Whale watching, and great golf!
We always stay at the Haterleigh Heritage Inn, easy walk to all the attractions www.haterleigh.com
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:23 AM

I don't want to knock Victoria, as it's a cute city, but with 4 days you'll likely be bored. It's a great day trip from Seattle or Vancouver, but with 4 days you'll have seen everything.

As well, Vancouver, in my opinion, is nothing like Seattle, other than its abundance of Starbucks, its similar climate zone .

Why not spend 3 days in Vancouver, and then spend a day in Victoria as a day trip?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:28 AM

I just re-read what I wrote, and what I meant to say is that if you were to spend 4 days in Victoria, you would have seen everything within a day or two. After 2 days, you'll likely want to explore elsewhere.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:09 AM
ltt

i think two boys 11 & 16 will get bored in victoria after a day or two.
i'd choose vancouver - you can always take a day trip (or overnight) up to whistler to get some mountain action or take a ferry out to one of the islands (salt spring is the most popular) for a day.