Life in BC

Jun 21st, 2003, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Life in BC

My husband and I are considering relocating to Victoria or possibly Vancouver. I am looking for a relocation forum and was hoping someone here could point me towards one. I am interested in getting information about neighborhoods and areas to live in. Victoria is probably more likely because we have a job likely there, but if we can't get to Victoria we would be interested in Vancouver as well. My ideal (and I know that I probably won't find all these things) would be a home with a waterview, walking distance to a beach, walking distance or public transportation to a few restaurants or shops so that the need to drive is minimal, cultural activities (concerts, etc) nearby, college nearby, safe sunny(ier) neighborhood with decent schools. Both Vancouver and Victoria seem to offer these possibilities. Of course another visit to these areas is planned, but it would be helpful to narrow down some possibilities before arriving. Any ideas about neighborhoods or areas that would meet a few of my dream criteria or any ideas about relocation forums or living in Victoria or Vancouver would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Jun 21st, 2003, 11:40 AM

The last time I lived in Victoria was about 12 years ago in University residences, so I'll let the experts advise you on that one.

I live in Vancouver now and have done so for most of my life, so I can help you there. It would help if you could provide more detail though. Are you planning on buying a residence or renting? House or apartment? Where will you be working, i.e. downtown, on the west side or closer to the suburbs? Do you have children? What ages?

If you're looking for a water view, within walking distance to the beach, transportation and shops, with good schools in the area, then I would think the Arbutus, Kitsilano or Dunbar/Jericho areas would suit (and they're about 15-20 mins from downtown and from the University of British Columbia). However, property in these areas is extremely expensive, especially with a water view. You're looking at over half a million dollars (perhaps well over) for a house and a few hundred thousand for a two-bedroom apartment.

The West side of Vancouver is absolutely wonderful to live in, but one of the most expensive areas. The suburbs are rapidly growing but you won't have the water views, beaches, etc.
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:25 AM

To research living in Victoria, you may want to visit these sites:

Victoria Real Estate Board
http://www.vreb.org/

MLS (Multiple Listing Service)
http://www.mls.ca/

City of Victoria
http://www.city.victoria.bc.ca/

BC Transit (to see where the buses run)
http://www.bctransit.com/

Greater Victoria areas that you may be interested in moving to are:
-Oak Bay (considered to be very "English")
-Uplands (many wealthy people live there)
-Victoria (mostly urban, with a few parks)
-Sidney (small waterfront town north of Victoria)
-Saanich (more of a rural flavour)
-Western Communities (less expensive properties)
-Esquimalt (less expensive properties)

For Government web sites:
http://www.funlinks.com/funlinks/vic...overnment.html

***Most Greater Victoria municipalities have some waterfront property, since Victoria and the Saanich Peninsula are almost entirely surrounded by water.

Major Post Secondary Education in Victoria:
-University of Victoria (www.uvic.ca)
-Camosun College

Some of The Best beaches in Victoria:
-Willows Beach
-Gonzales Beach
-Esquimalt Lagoon
-Gyro Park (Cadboro Bay)
-Island View Beach
-Witty's Lagoon
-Sidney Spit (take passenger ferry there)
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Greg and Heyblonde, thanks for taking the time to answer. I have enjoyed looking at the links you provided, Greg. I've had lots of fun looking at houses on the MLS site. I'm curious about Esquimalt and Sidney, and what kind of feel they have to them. I know Esquimalt is home of MARPAC, so does it have a military town feel to it? I'd like to be close to Victoria, but in a village type setting. What about Sooke? Is it too far out? Is there a village there? Lastly, what are the politics like in Victoria- mostly conservative, liberal, or a mix? Thanks for any further information you can provide.
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:19 PM

Esquimalt has a stimga attached even though some parts are very nice. It has a lot of low income housing, so others are snooty about it.

Sooke is a 45 minute drive from town, and you will probably have to drive to a corner store.

I live in a part of Victoria called Fairfield. You will find that defined on your mls map.

I walk to work in one half hour, Safeway and Thriftys grocery stores fifteen minutes.

Uvic is a short bus ride and bus passes are include in student dues.

I do not have a water view because that adds about $100,000 to the price.
Waterfront adds about $300,000.

Real Estate is very hot right now, so entry level houses (1,000 square feet) are hitting $300,000.

Expensive to live here, but the air is fresh and people leave bicycles unlocked in the driveway.

Good luck with your move.
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:28 PM

You might want to look into homes on
the North Shore (North Vancouver).
Houses on the hillsides in Capilano
Highlands, Edgemont, Deep Cove and
Windsor can have waterviews - yes,
the market is very 'hot' right now
and I doubt you will find anything
under 450,000. The North Shore has
every amenity you could ever need
plus mountains and water close by.