Victoria romantic hotels

Search

Victoria romantic hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria romantic hotels

I am still confused about a hotel or B&B in or near downtown Victoria. So many conflicting reports. I eliminated Abigails as being too much dark wood, Laurel Point and Delta Victoria rooms looked so so, Brentwood Bay was $400/ni in Aug!!!,Victoria Regent had tiny balcony but might not be bad, and I was curious about these: Harbour Towers, Gatsby, Andersen House, Prior House,Fairholme Manor, Sooke Harbor (I think we will stay there on nights 3-4, but I need something closer in for nights 1-2). I checked trip advisor and got more confused. Any suggestions? I feel like I am living on my computer!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM

First, let me say that I can only give impressions about exteriors or locations since I haven't stayed at any of these places.

If Abigails is too dark for you, perhaps the Beaconsfield Inn would be too. Victoria Regent has great location but recent article in local paper mentioned problems with loud drunks outside at night. Maybe it depends on which way the room faces though. Andersen House and Harbour Towers are in handy location on Laurel Point side of the harbour but of course they are completely different types of buildings and I can't tell which you are looking for. (Looking at the website photos of Andersen House it looks like the background has been edited.) Haterleigh Heritage Inn in the same neighbourhood might be another to consider. It looks nice on the outside anyway. http://www.haterleigh.com/

I can't find the words to describe my opinion about the Gatsby but let's just say that it strikes me as a little phony-schmaltzy, less than great. Their restaurant didn't impress me.

Prior House and Fairholme Manor are in a lovely area but from there you'd probably want to drive to town and to restaurants.

Brentwood Bay Lodge is well out of town and I think their rates are a bit much. Location is nice but it's hardly Long Beach.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, now I am hearing Abigails in the coach house is not that dark but in closer location. I think I want nice inside somewhat closer to town for the 1st 2 nights, probably balcony and spa but doubt I will have time to use them. If we are 15 min walk to town that is fine. I don't know if harbor view is important or having a lush garden setting (even tho I will have to eat breakfast with guests in the am. What do you know about Prior House and Coast Harborside. The B&B's are about as much as the hotels...Thanks for your input.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Not much.

Abigails is much closer than the Prior House but even it isn't what I would call terribly convenient. Not bad though. The end of the newer part is next to the busier street.

Relatives stayed at the Coast and they thought it was ok. It is on the outer part of the harbour, which is not too far from downtown.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM

The harbour-facing views from Coast and Laurel Point rooms seemed a little limited to me and they're on the darker (northish) side of the building. While I haven't been in the Regent, I suspect I would like their view of the harbour much better, especially is if was a sunnier room. But bright, sunny rooms might be more important to me than they are to you.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

You're super to answer my questions. Know anything about Harbour Towers? I think it must be a condo. I think in order to get atmosphere in a room I will have to book a B&B a few miles out and that is ok, as long as I can park downtown or at the harbor area. Right?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM

There should be some harbour views from Harbour Towers. My husband used to live there and he liked it, but that was a long time ago. Easy walk to many sites and downtown.

Where you stay might depend on what you want to do in Victoria. If you mainly want to be downtown, see the museum, etc., then it would be convenient to stay by the harbour. You walk out and you're right there. Personally I'd rather do that than have to bother with parking. Be careful where you park too and don't leave anything in view inside the vehicle. Break-ins aren't uncommon (more so at night).

On the other hand, if you like walking around a residential area of oak trees and mansions, then Rockland, where Prior House and Fairholme Manor are, might appeal more to you.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 05:33 PM

By the way, Andersen House and Haterleigh are side-by-side and both looks quite nice.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:39 AM

We have been visiting B & B's in Victoria for years, and have now settled on The Haterleigh Heritage Inn.(www.haterleigh.com) We found it rated "Best in Victoria" by Frommer's and totally agree. The others mentioned in this discussion do not match up! (definitely agree about how bad the Gatsby is!)