b&b help in victoria

Search

b&b help in victoria

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b&b help in victoria

We will be spending three nights in Victoria in June and have been looking at these b&bs: Oak Bay Guesthouse, Oaklane, Heathergate House and Shakespeare House. Anyone know anything about them or do you have a recommendation. We want to stay near the city center/inner harbour.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM

We stayed at Ryan's B and B close to the inner harbor and the museum.

It was fine. We took the room with the jacuzzi tub. It was a might expensive, but other rooms are less costly.

The B and B is run by Sheila Ryan who in the past has been a touring musician. She has several CDs out with Irish songs on it. She has a lovely soprano voice.

She did not sing for us, but she did give me one of her CDs.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:41 PM

The Oak Bay Guesthouse is in Oak Bay, Oaklane is in Rockland, Shakespeare House is in Fairfield. None of these are by the harbour.

Heathergate House is in James Bay which is an area by the harbour but you should be able to find something not so many blocks from town.

There are all sorts of hotels and motels around the harbour from Laurel Point, Hotel Grand Pacific, Royal Scot Suites, Queen Victoria, etc. to the Admirals Inn, Days Inn On The Harbour and Crystal Court Motel (maybe not for long). The Shamrock Suites by the park is more like a motel so I'm not sure if they serve breakfasts but I believe they have a B&B house in behind. Since you're looking for B&B's there should be many others in James Bay such as the one Bob mentioned. I've never stayed in any and therefore can't offer any advice except about the location.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

bob brown,
Thanks for the info. Is The Ryans b & b you refer to at 224 superior st.? It is the only one I can google up and I see nothing about the vocalist you talk about. Any more info will help.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM

Ryans B and B is no longer owned by Sheila Ryan. It is the same building as the one I stayed in, but the whole set up looks different in the pictures.

Different people own it now. The name will soon be Albion Manner B and B.

The rooms sound the same. We used Room 4 with the jacuzzi tub. In high season, the prices match the season.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update Brookwood. The rooms do look nice and we are looking forward to staying there. We have also reserved room 4, so appreciate the feedback.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM

The rooms and beds were fine.
The location is good, too.
One thing, however, you might want to ask in advance for restaurant suggestions.

I recall that there were none of high quality in the immediate vicinity.

Of course, that could have changed, too.

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM

If you want to go with a slightly "bigger" B&B experience, Abigails Hotel on MacLure Street is wonderful. It is B&B (n the dining room or in your room) but not of the hone-stay variety - they have about 20 rooms... many with jacuzzis etc. I recall they were beautifully appointed and comfortable, but with some of the same personable, intimacy of a B&B. We have stayed there twice for special occasions including my wedding night(I live 1/2 hour away) and LOVED it. Abigails is within 5 minute walk of downtown, harbour etc. (You won't find a B&B on the water in Victoria.)