Opinions on James Bay Inn in Victoria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. Would like to hear some feedback (especially from those living in Victoria -- do you call yourselves "Victorians"?) Anyway, we are going on a long-anticipated 16-night vacation in mid-September, beginning in Victoria and driving across to Banff. Since this is a fairly long trip, I have been trying to work out an itinerary that allows us to stay in interesting and nice places but at good prices. So far, I've had great success (for example, got Vancouver Wall Centre for $76/nite, a whale-watching package in Tofino and a week at a 2-bedroom cabin timeshare in Canmore). This leaves only a 2 night stay in Victoria. I am still working on Priceline but have not yet been successful (looking for a 4-star property), so need to book a "Plan B" just in case. Found the James Bay Inn for $110 USD for a queen room (and free parking). So my question is, is it a reasonable walk (distance and type of neighborhood) from Inner Harbour, and would you stay there? It's obviously not a 4-star property nor a nice B&B, but I am hoping not to pay much more than that, although I know we are still at peak season timeframe. Breakfast (as in a B&B) does not interest us, as we have special plans for that during our stay. Or does anyone have another recommendation? As always, thank you all so much for your perspective!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM

The James Bay Inn has an excellent location for proximity to the inner harbour. The area is great. (Of course it is I live one block from there!!) I can't say I have ever been in a room in the Inn but $110/US seems a little high but I haven't checked the rates lately. Did you check the Queen Victoria - I know several people who have stayed there and quite liked it. My only concern with the JBI is that it may be a bit noisy at night because they do have a bar downstairs. The area itself has so many hotels. I will see what I can find as far as rates go at some of the other motels. I will post my findings.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:41 AM

I just checked the website of a great suite motel and here is there website for you to look at http://www.shamrocksuites.com/

They recently changed hands and the place is gorgeous now and right across from Beacon Hill Park. The rate posted for a studio is $115 US. You would be much happier here and they have free parking as well. You are not even a block from the Museum etc so it is even closer than the JBI. Check the website and I am sure you will be pleased with it. (you would probably get a better rate than that as well if you call them) good luck and enjoy your visit to our beautiful city.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Would I stay at the James Bay Inn? No. I'd be concerned about the pub and somewhere I read some negative reviews. That said, I have never set foot in the place... but have never wanted to.

On the lower end of the scale you could try the Days Inn on the Harbour, which might cost a bit more than you'd like. It's nothing fancy but has a super location right across the street from the harbour.
http://www.daysinnvictoria.com/

The old-style Crystal Court Motel might be too rustic for you but it has a surprisingly great location.
http://victoriabc.com/accom/crystal.htm

However, the Queen Victoria or the Shamrock Suites mentioned above would be nicer.

(Yes, "Victorians" is fine.)
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations, both of you. traveller69, I looked at the Shamrock Suites website and it does look very nice. I like the fact that it is right next to Beacon Hill Park.

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:34 PM

I am glad you saw the website. I live just a block from the Shamrock and admire it everytime I walk by. It is adjoining another property of their's that is more like a B&B but they have a beautiful garden area between the two like a little park and at night it is all lit up with tiny lights. I have recommended the Shamrock to out of town visitors (I can't accommodate all the out of town friends - Victoria is a very popular place!) Anyway everyone was very pleased with comfort and cleanliness. I highly recommend it!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, traveller69. I did book a room there. Although my original intention was just to have a confirmed reservation in case bidding on Priceline was unsuccessful, I am rethinking that. After all, one of the reasons we are visiting your city is for the lovely parks plus I wanted a place with personality and a location that put us near Inner Harbour, Thunderbird Park, etc. I saw a picture of that little garden and am looking forward to seeing it at night with the little lights. Wave as you go by! Thanks again.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM

You are so welcome. That is why I love these boards. When traveling to a new city it is hard to know the accommodation and area etc. The websites sometimes make them look a little better than they actually are. You could probably get a fancier hotel for the same price on Priceline but I know you will enjoy this place and the homey atmosphere.Beacon Hill park is just lovely to walk in - we usually do it every other night. The other nights we walk down to the inner harbour and pretend we are tourists!!! The Empress Hotel which is just a block from your location has a gorgeous rose garden and in September they should be back in their prime. I know you will love our city. Have a wonderful time.

PS with this room it is nice to have the little kitchenette so you can keep juice snacks etc. Thats an added bonus there.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

And now, do you have any restaurant recommendations? I am overwhelmed with the variety and apparent quality. We love fresh seafood. Also, anything Pacific Northwest. Hungarian, Thai, etc., we are open for your suggestions. Oh, and preferably we would like to be able to walk to these places from Shamrock Suites. Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM

Hello again! Two of our favourites are Pescatores for seafood which is just a couple of blocks from the Shamrock and L'ecole Brasserie for wonderful french food. They have a website www.lecole.ca and you can see the menu etc there. It is also within walking distance but probably 8 - 10 blocks. There is an Italian restaurant that we love but I am having brain freese and for the life of me can't think of the name. We walk there - 6 blocks or so. I will put my thinking cap on and get back to you on that one. There are also some wonderful Japanese restaurants but you only have two days so you can't fit them all in! I will post the name of the Italian restaurant as soon as I can remember it!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:50 PM

I just remembered the name of the Italian restaurant Il Terrazzo. You can ask anyone at the motel for directions. There is a great little tourist downtown map that you can pickup and it has a lot of the attractions and restaurants right on it. The other place I would recommend but just for an after dinner dessert is Pagliaccis. Its a real neat place - the desserts are to die for and the atmosphere is great - the tables are close together so it isn't intimate but there are pictures of all the "stars" who have eaten there - rustic furniture you know what I mean. If you want quiet and intimate but if you want to just have a fun place with good desserts and coffee that is where to go.