Vancouver advice, please!

Feb 5th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Vancouver advice, please!

Just bought tickets for Elton John's farewell tour at Rogers Arena in late September 2019!

Now looking for a great hotel within a reasonable distance (taxi or Uber) and some ideas for restaurants. My husband and I will be in Vancouver for three nights - we absolutely love fresh shellfish, so any recommendations for good seafood restaurants with the emphasis on oysters will be wonderful. This will be a birthday weekend splurge, so we can look at "expensive" for at least one of our dinners out, and moderate to local-favorites for the others.

Hoping for good weather in September - we will definitely go to Stanley Park for a good walk or bike ride. Any suggestions for other fun things to do are most welcome, Thanks!
Feb 5th, 2019, 01:43 PM

Well our experience ( and we have considerable since we travel there frequently to visit family and friends and live so close by ) .. is that hotels near Rogers crank up rates for concerts.. and that during cruise season ( which September still is in ) also produces high rates.. rooms that can be had for 200-250 shoot up to 350 or more ... With Elton John the rooms will be booked as soon as people have tickets.. so act faster rather than slower.. book with cancellation policy and keep looking.. but get a bird in the hand now.

We are seeing The Who in october.. and I have already booked a room.. and not at some hotels weve stayed at before.. because their rates have gotten just stupid. We ran into this concert rate issue when we saw Tom Petty.. luckily a friend made a recommendation .. which at first we poo pooed.. but having stayed there we are now hooked.. So.. before you go "oh yuck' .. hear it out, and read reviews.. Note.. we only stay in private rooms with private bathroom.. not in dorm or shared bathroom arrangements.

The YMCA.. yeah.. I said it.. the Y.. lol
Our room had private bathroom, mini fridge, air conditioned, nice down duvet on bed.. safe, and super comfy beds.. and cost us 180 for October date.. and its in a great location, walk to Rogers in minutes, many restaurants and bars near by, and Robson Street( well known for shopping and food) is 5 minute walk away..

Now,, if your budget is a bit healthier.. then you can also look at Hotel Blu , The Marriot Pinnacale , Rosedale on Robson, , all nice and well located.

Yeah, we always do the seawalk and Stanley park too.. but we usually do a lot of family visiting so we dont do a lot of sights..

We always do a dinner at Joe Fortes.. its not super fancy.. but they do oysters very well.. its busy, and popular , so make reservations. Its not cheap, but its not over the top.. its a lively place rather than romantic however..
Feb 6th, 2019, 09:47 AM

Honestly, I've had good success with Priceline for Vancouver. If it's just you and your husband, bid in the two downtown areas for a 4 star. 3 star could also work, but that is a last resort, IMO. My favorite win has been the Sheraton Wall Centre, which Priceline open reservations is currently showing $214/night for late September. That's a good location for walking to shops and restaurants, including Joe Fortes.

We also like Rodney's Oyster House (there are 2 locations). Great selection of raw oysters (love the Kusshi and Kamomoto in particular), but they have great other seafood on the menu - check the blackboard when you get in. (Try the scallops gallette or steamed clams.) If the weather is fine, try for a rooftop seat at Joe Fortes.

Enjoy.