Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > hotel suggestions in vancouver & victoria

hotel suggestions in vancouver & victoria

Sep 11th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

hotel suggestions in vancouver & victoria

we will be in vancouver and victoria week of dec 26-31. what hotels can you recommend in the downtown vancouver area (being low season, i would say between $50-80/night) and in the victoria area, same price range, we will prefer a centrally located hotel. for a short visit like this, will you recommend renting a car, either in vancouver or victoria? there will be 4 of us travelling. many thanks in advance for your help.
Sep 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Downtown Vancouver tends to be a bit expensive. In August we stayed in a private room with bathroom at the HI Vancouver Ventral on Granville street. It cost about 100 CAD a night for a double. The room was quite small but had tv and breakfast was included. If yu want to save money you get good deals in the B&Bs, some of which are really nice and full of character, but not as cental. We stayed at Windsor House.
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:03 AM

We stayed at the Westin Bayshore and the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver last year. We got a good rate at the Bayshore and were really looking fwd to it as an end of holiday treat, but felt quite disappointed.

At the Sheraton, we were upgraded, which was lovely. No complaints about our stay there, granted it's a large business-oriented hotel but if you don't mind that...

Friends of ours just back from Van stayed at the Listel and were happy with it.

If I go back, I would definitely stay at the Sylvia. There was no room when we booked. I have heard fantastic things about it and now having seen the location (near Stanley Park and the downtown neighbourhood that we liked the best), I would love to stay there.

If I go back as a millionaire, however I'll stay at the Wedgewood

In Victoria, we stayed at Royal Scot Suites which are a few mins walk from the harbourside and found that to be friendly and good value.

Have a great trip!

Claire
Sep 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM

I agree the Sylvia couln't have a better location. If you can get a room there (often full) go for it!
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM

If you are sure of your travel dates, anaheimwoman, you can get deeply discounted hotel rooms through Priceline. You'd be able to get a 4-star hotel for something like $80 or $90. The one downside with Priceline is that there is no refund if you are forced to cancel for some reason.

Search this Thread