Reload this Page >

travellers inn downtown, victoria BC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Fred

Has anyone stayed at the Travellers Inn Downtown in Victoria? It's the one on 1850 Douglas. Their rates are really low and I thought I would ask if anyone has stayed there before. thanks

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:59 PM
cindy

There were quite a few posts about Travellers Inn a couple of months ago. They do a lot of advertising, and their rates are, as you say, really low. However, everything people have said about them has been negative. I'm not sure if the specific location you mention was the worst offender, but they are all pretty bad. The rooms aren't very clean or in good repair, and the staff apparently couldn't care less. I've seen the one you're referring to, and just from looking at the outside of it, I'd be reluctant to stay there. Unless finances are a more important consideration than anything else, I'd look elsewhere.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:53 PM
April

I thought that one didn't look too bad on the outside and regular-looking people seem to stay there. However, as mentioned above, the negative comments here would put me off trying it.<BR><BR>For lower priced accommodations I think I'd try Helm's Inn, or the Shamrock Motel or the plain-Jane Crystal Court Motel - all older establishments. I've not heard reviews on any of them but, if nothing else, their location is much better than the Traveller's.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Fred

Are there regions of victoria that we should avoid i.e. bad neighborhoods, bums hanging out.<BR><BR>The Travellers Inn Downtown (1850 Douglas) is right across from The Bay, so the location can't be that bad, comments? With regards to negative comments about Travellers Inn, I haven't seen any posts. do you know when they were posted? Travellers Inn Downtown was recently rennovated (that's what they told me when I called).<BR><BR>thanks<BR>

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:44 PM
rand

Since I live here, I obviously do not stay in hotels here so I have no first hand experience. The Travellers Inn company has been buying up older hotel and motels and renovating them, so all room renovations are probably within the last few years.<BR>Much like Motel Six in the US, they are trying to offer the best they can at a given price point.<BR>Their website says they have 500 rooms in Victoria. With that many visitors, there are bound to be some complaints. But hey it is cheaper than the Empress.<BR><BR>As to areas to avoid, unfortunatly Victoria, like San Fransico is seen to be nirvanah for the homeless.<BR>I cannot figure out why they would rather sleep outside here than in Fort St. John. <BR>Centenial Square next city hall is either to be avoided or not depending on whether you want to buy substances.<BR><BR>To truly enjoy your stay, try to break free of the 'tourist magnet' that keeps most visitors within a few block area. Explore further to see what attracts people to actually move to and live here.

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Fred

Calling all comments for Travellers Inn Downtown, 1850 Douglas........

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:38 PM
cindy

Fred, I just topped a post for you that I found when I did a search under "Victoria." I tried "Victoria hotels" and "Travellers Inn" and didn't come up with anything, but if you search under "Victoria" and go through some of the posts, you'll find a few comments you might be interested in. I remember a thread only a couple of months ago where a number of people chimed in about having had bad experiences there, but I couldn't find it in the brief search I did. But do have a look.

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Fred

Thanks, Cindy! Will keep you posted.<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:51 PM
DS

we stayed at the travellers inn - downtown last summer. The hotel was itself not that bad.. you get what u pay for I guess. Walking around that area at night (e.g returning from the harbour) sorta creeped me out though. <BR>But the hotel was ok.. clean and quiet. Although they said bfast is included, it was pretty bad. The danishes etc seemed stale. *yech*<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old May 18th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Fred

thanks for your reply DS!<BR>Good to know someone has stayed at the travellers inn downtown. <BR><BR>Frankly, we will be out all day and just need a place to sleep. The hotel is across the street from The Bay. Is the surrounding area a dangerous neighborhood?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:39 AM
April

Not exactly dangerous but a bit away from things. I'd feel safer staying in the 'tourist zone'.