Sightseeing w Kids in Vancouver

May 22nd, 2002, 04:48 AM
Catherine

Sightseeing w Kids in Vancouver

I'd like to spend one night in Vancouver with the kids. They would love to see the Aquarium, Science World and Space Centre.
Is that too ambitous in two days? We would be taking the ferry over from V. Island. Also, would it be easier to leave the car and use public trans to avoid parking problems?
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

May 28th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Heather

You could do all 3 places in 2 days - I'd allow a half a day each. All 3 had have adequate parking on my visits.

My kids love these places.

May 28th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Robyn

I agree, it can definitely be done! The Space Center is smaller than the Aquarium and Science World, so perhaps don't try to do Science World and the Aquarium on the same day.

Then again, if you're up early enough, go for it!

There's a wonderful website designed for families touring Vancouver with kids. It's not a commercial website, but was built by a local family. You might want to take a quick look!

http://www.findfamilyfun.com

May 29th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Catherine

Thanks for the help. I was beginning to think no one would reply I've read the familyfun site, it's very good isn't it.
What about Granville Island? Should we try to squeeze that it too?
I want to divide the visits up into 2 per day, as suggested, but will have to look at a map so we're not driving back and forth.

May 29th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Catherine

I just found out there is a ferry "aquabus" from Science World to Granville Island. Have any of you been on it?

May 29th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Robyn

Yes, I used it the other week with my friends. One of them was from England, his first time in North American, let alone Canada... so from downtown Vancouver (the foot of Hornby Street), we took the ferry across.

They're tiny (but cute) boats... very scenic, and short rides across False Creek. The Science World/Granville Island ride is longer than the 1 minute ride it takes to go from Downtown Vancouver to Granville Island, but i'm sure yours kids would love it.

As for a trip to Granville Island, I was actually going to add that to my original response. As a kid, that was one of my favoutite places to visit. Kid's Only is a market full of toy stores. There's also a little playground and perhaps even a water park there for kids. It would make sense to do Granville Island/Science World in the same day, as long as you get up very early!

As for the Vancouver Aquarium trip, take some time (either before or after) to explore Stanley Park. Maybe take them down the path to the beach and let them explore in the tidal pools. Or if it's open, take them to the petting zoo and the train station.

May 29th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Catherine

Thank you! I've saved these posts to my Canada file.