Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chateau Whistler versus Westin Whistler???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Paul

My (future) wife and I are planning a romantic honeymoon in Whistler in July!!!<BR><BR>So which one would you suggest? We're looking for luxury, great views, and close to the action. I know they're both great, but I can only choose one. Any ideas??<BR><BR>Please Help!!!!<BR>Thanks, <BR>Paul

Old May 27th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Daniel

I've stayed at both several times and they both really are very nice. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy. <BR><BR>The Chateau has a very warm feel, starting with the lobby and its sitting area around a fireplace. I've found that the rooms are hit and miss (relatively speaking as all are quite nice). Some are quite small, though. If you get a room with a view, it will likely be a better view than you'd get at the Westin. <BR><BR>I personally prefer the Westin for several reasons. First, it is newer and the rooms are larger with small kitchenettes (at least if you get a junior suite or better). The beds are the Westin "Heavenly Bed" and they really are incredible. The hotel is on the Whistler side (as opposed to the Blackomb side) and therefore is closer to the action. I wouldn't make that last point the deciding factor though, as both hotels are within around a 10 minute walk from each other. In my view the luxury of this hotel is equal to or even surpasses the Chateau.<BR><BR>Both hotels have good spas, if that interests you.

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:58 AM
gary

Danial is right about the quality but I don't agree with himn on location. the Westin is right in the Village albeit at the southern end and as soon as you walk out of the door you are steps from the action. The Chateau is in a little world of it's own and is about 10 minutes downhill to the village, (conversely it's 10 minutes uphill back). The Chateau by it's higher location has much better views.

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:07 AM
bc'er

For a "romantic" getaway, I'd go with the Chateau Whistler. Quieter, but still easy walk to the nightlife and shopping. The walk back from the village at night can even be romantic as you cross over a creek with a wooden covered bridge.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Daniel

Gary, I'm not sure what you disagree with me about! I did say that the Westin is closer to the action and that the Chateau is about a 10 minute walk.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
gary

You're right Dan. After I posted my reply I reread yours and realized I misread your post.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:05 PM
William

Personally, I am not enamored with the Westin. It's in town, but at the far end. The views vary greatly depending on which wing you're in. The west(?) wing overlooks a golf range--not too romantic if you know what I mean. It's also full of suites (read--families) hence full of kids and so forth--again...not so romantic. Don't get me wrong--it's a nice hotel, but for romance, you can't beat the Chateaux. Drop the Westin. It's not worth it.<BR><BR>W.