Westin or Chateau Laurier?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at both of these hotels? The deluxe room on the internet for the Westin looks great. Some people say the Chateau Laurier has a little better location.I like to shop and I don't mind walking. Tell me anything helpful. Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:43 AM
BAK

The Westin is directly connected on the second or thrid floor to a giant indoor shopping mall.

The Chateau has a few shops inside, but otherwise, you need to walk several blocks.

Walking the same distance from the Westin gets you to the same stores you'd get to from the Westin. You just approach from a different direction.

As a hotel experience, the Chateau is magnificent. The Westin is just another Westin, nice as it is.

From many Westin rooms,you get a great view of the Chateau. That's a bonus., From the Chateau, you just see the Westin. No big deal.

If it was me, I'd lean toward the Chateau, but on many, mnmay trips to ottawa, I've tended to stay at the Westin, partly because it cost less. But check the rates.

But if I was entertaining over dinner, I'd walk over from the Westin and go to the Chateau.

BAK
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM

The Chateau is neat b/c of its atmosphere. But, I think the rooms themselves are nicer at the Westin (newer, more spacious). I stayed at a TINY room at the Chateau. I would rather save the money and stay at the Westin. You can always go to the Chateau for high tea to soak up the atmosphere!

I think the location is about the same... I have stayed at the Westin with a great room overlooking the canal. They are both a 5 min. walk to shops/Parliament, etc.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I have a deluxe room with canal view at the Westin for 199 cad and a deluxe city view at the Chateau for 257 cad (but it is AMEX Plat. program that includes breakfast and high tea). What do you think?
Old May 26th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Take the Chateau. It's a magnificent old hotel and one of a kind, whereas the Westin, while an excellent hotel, is much the same as any other hotel of its class anywhere in the world. If your room is a deluxe city view, it shouldn't be a broom closet. The breakfast and tea included are a great bonus.

The Chateau's main dining room, Wilfrid's, is one of the three best restaurants in the city.

Location shouldn't be a factor. The two hotels are at most a three minute walk from each other.
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help. I will take the Chateau. I have reservations one night at Le Jardin for dinner. Is it good? I will dine in the Chateau the other night. Thanks again
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Le Jardin is WONDERFUL!!!! You'll enjoy it. I haven't eaten there for many years but it used to be Trudeau's favourite restaurant.

I'd stay at the Westin if you want a nice room. The CP hotels all have old small rooms. The rest of the hotel is lovely but your actual room usually isn't great. I'd go over and have tea or lunch/dinner at the Chateau.

The Westin also has a nice Sunday brunch with a great view of the canal. Both are very handy for seeing Ottawa and very close to each other.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:59 AM
wow

Agree w/ the comments re : Chateau's "atmosphere". Now about the rooms: At the Chateau it's hit or miss...you may get a great room w/ a great view or they may try to stick you w/ one of the older, smaller rooms (they give the word "small" a whole new meaning!) w/ no view! So, if you are prepared to ask to see several rooms if you don't like the first one @ the Chateau then by all means go there!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. I had two different reservations at the Westin and canceled them. Guess I will hope for an upgrade with the AMEX Plat. to a corner suite at the Chateau. What do you think?