Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for cheap but safe hotel in Vancouver

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Vancouver 7/15 - 7/18. Has anyone stayed at The Barclay Hotel (Robson between Jervis & Broughton)?

Any other suggestions for cheap (but safe and centrally located) lodgings?

Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:27 PM

What is your budget, what do you consider a cheap room rate?? Have you ever tried Priceline or Howire.com (priceline is almost always cheaper). The hotels I have stayed in have always been great and have never had any problems. If interested try www.biddingfortravel.com as this site will assist you in finding others who have been bidding(priceline only) for maybe those specific dates. Another site is www.betterbidding.com it's newer but they offer priceline and hotwire bids. We got the Hyatt Regency in downtown Vancouver for $60 US a night, but we booked a few months ago.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:29 PM

I haven't stayed at the Barclay, but that would be a good location.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 02:18 AM

We stayed there 2 weeks ago. Great location & helpful staff. Only problem if you have many stuff to carry and you are placed in the 2nd or 3rd floor. They dont have elevator.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies (especially ezmark - GREAT advice). I spent the better part of last night researching hotels & bids on betterbidding.com, then tried my luck at Priceline. Got rejected a few times, but my bid for 4* hotel in Vancouver (Hyatt Regency) finally got accepted at $75.00 (not as good as $60.00, but I'm still pleased ; )

Thanks, again!

BTW...any suggestions re: things to do? I'm thinking 1 day biking around the city & 1 day kayaking in the harbor. Any must sees for the remaining day?
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 09:15 AM

I am glad you are happy and that my research paid off for you as well. You can just type in Vancouver and people have suggested numerous things to do in Vancouver. Another fodor emailed me this info -
For sites you shouldn't miss:
Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver - you can take an aerial tramway to just below the summit of the mountain, and the views are incredible, especially on a sunny day (and Vancouver in August is usually quite sunny); there's even a theatre up there that shows movies made especially for it. The first time I ever came to Vancouver (like so many other Vancouverites, I wasn't born here), Grouse Mountain was the first place I went, and it blew my mind.

- The UBC Museum of Anthropology - If you like West Coast native art, it's a phenomenal place; even if you don't, you probably will once you go there.
- Granville Island Public Market - it's such an interesting, vibrant place; it's right on the waterfront, with great views of the downtown skyline, and there are so many terrific shops and eateries.
- Stanley Park - it's huge and beautiful, and never feels crowded, even on the busiest days. The Vancouver Aquarium is also there, and it has some terrific exhibits of marine life. It's just like Sea World, on a smaller scale.
- The Dr. Sun Yat-sen Classical Chinese Garden - it's the first Ming Dynasty-style garden ever built outside China, and it's a lovely place to spend a few hours. I was just there a couple weeks ago, and it reminded me how much I loved it. It's located in Chinatown, which is also a place I'd highly recommend visiting.
There are so many more that I could list, but instead I'll refer you to www.visitorschoice.com, because it has a comprehensive list of almost everything in Vancouver really worth seeing.
As I am a week or so behind you please email how your trip was, especially how the HYATT was etc and I will do the same come Aug when I return as well.

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:53 AM

I live about 200 metres from the Barclay Hotel. The area is good (on Robson Street) though late-night traffic noise could be slightly problematic if you are a light sleeper. The Hotel is well situated for cafés and restaurants as well as public transportation. You're within easy walking distance of downtown Vancouver (in fact, you're almost in downtown Vancouver), Stanley Park, Coal Harbour, the sea wall..you name it.

You asked whether the hotel is safe. I guess bad things can happen anywhere, but I'd say that part of town is as safe as it gets.

There are plenty of shops nearby, mostly at the corner of Robson and Denman, where you can rent bicycles. I've never kayaked so don't know where you would go to get started on that.