Reload this Page >

"Special Occasion" Dining in Jasper

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Lila

We'll be celebrating our 1st Anniversary in Jasper this July and would love to hear recommendations on lovely/yummy restaurants where we should have our special dinner. We'll be staying at Becker's Chalet and they appear to have a nice restaurant. Would any of you recommend it for an anniversary dinner? Thank you for your time!

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:22 AM
x

jasper park lodge

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Jeff

You can find out more about Jasper Park Lodge at www.fairmont.com.

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Lila

I checked out the Jasper Park Lodge website. There appears to be 2 main restaurants - The Beauvert Dining Room and The Edith Cavell. Would anyone recommend one over the other? The Beauvert seems very large (seats 500!) with not much of a description about the food they serve, whereas the Edith Cavell sounds heavenly.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:26 PM
ja

Hi, Lila -<BR> While our budget runs more to Jasper Pizza Place, I know that the Cavell Room has an international Michelin rating - 4 stars I think. We'll be at Becker's in mid- June - will leave the lights on for you!<BR>Enjoy your stay.<BR>ja

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Lila

Hi Ja! Oh, I assure you, our budget for the most of our vacation will be Pizza too! This "special" dinner will be to celebrate our 1st anniversary (and this trip will also be our honeymoon). After this dinner, we'll probably have to prepare the rest of our meals in our kitchens! Please let me hear your comments on Beckers. Hope you have a fabulous time. Thanks!!!

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:40 AM
ja

Lila,<BR>We stayed there in 1998, but they tell us they've renovated since. I've jotted down your e-mail address, and if you have no objections, I'll e-mail you when we get home. Do you know Jasper at all? We're up there once or twice a year, so I know where things are, etc.<BR>ja<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Lila

Hi Ja! No I don't mind you e-mailing me at all. I'm anxious to hear how your stay goes. Yes, Beckers did renovate - their 4 room duplexes are suppose to be new. No, we've never been to the Rockies. We've booked 4 nights at Beckers/ 4 in Banff / 3 in Lake Louise and wondered if 4 nights in Jasper is too much (but Beckers is quite a bit cheaper than our stays in Banff & LL) but you must really like Jasper as you go so often.

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:28 AM
ja

Lila,<BR> We live in Edmonton, so Jasper is only a 4-hr. drive for us. We are nature/outdoor people, and I personally think of the mountains as my "church". We always (winter and summer) stay somewhere we can cook our own meals, thus keeping costs down, and we have our favorite hiking trails/shopping places/and restaurant (has to be Jasper Pizza). A lot of people we know have lake cabins at some of the Alberta lakes, and they spend every weekend there in the warm weather, but we are both shift workers and prefer to go somewhere really beautiful for a week instead. It will be interesting to hear your impressions of Banff vs. Jasper - even the trees are different between the two!<BR>ja

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Christine

Hi, a great romantic dinner in Jasper...I would have to suggest one of the following restaurants:<BR>- Andy's Bistro<BR>- The Pines at Pyramid Lake<BR>- Edith Cavell Dining Room at the Jasper Park Lodge<BR>- Fiddle River<BR><BR>I think one of the most romantic places with an incredible view is the Overlander Mountain Lodge located approximately 30 minutes east of Jasper and the food and views are incredible.<BR><BR>Happy Anniversary

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Lila

Thanks Christine, I was actually thinking of booking our stay in Jasper at the Overlander but Becker's Chalets seemed to be a popular choice on these postings, so I decided to go with Beckers...but now you've got me thinking "most incredible view!" However, I'm sure the Overlander is probably already booked up for the summer!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:43 AM
ja

Hi, Lila,<BR> The Overlander is about 30 minutes east of the Jasper Park Gate, which is about 35 minutes from the town of Jasper. All the great hikes, etc. are closer to the town and down the Icefields Parkway. Becker's is about 10 minutes from the town, and is on the Icefields Parkway. Your call, of course.<BR>ja

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:35 AM
herself

Hi Lila,<BR>Looks like you will be having a great vacation. Andy's would be my choice for a romantic dinner. Small, great food and in town. Have fun.<BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:13 PM
Lila

Gosh! I think we'll have to extend our one "special occasion" dinner to 4 dinners! I checked the websites for most of these restaurants (displaying their menus) and no way can I just pick one restaurant! Also, with the exchange rate (and the prices in Jasper appear lower than restaurants in Banff!) maybe we will be able to indulge and try most of these places (instead of preparing our meals in our kitchens at Becker's Chalets). Thank you so much for all your suggestions. . .I'm so hungry!!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
dnorrie

Happy Anniversary and many more. I hope that it is wonderful for you and all that you hope for.

Old May 29th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Marlyne

Lila, how did you find websites for the restaurants? I'd love to read more about Andy's Bistro, but it's not even on the restaurant listing here. Please let me know how you accessed them.<BR>Thanks. Marlyne

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Jean

Message: Message: Just a hint. Make sure you check repeatedly with Beckers that everything is okay with your reservation. We had made a reservation for last September for a couple of days at Beckers. When we arrived, they had a "record" that we had called and moved the dates to different dates. Funny, there was no "record" of a phone call to Beckers on my phone bill. (it was also the only place in 5 hotel reservations that was a problem) And they were really rude about it. At first they, wouldn't help us at all. After repeated requests, they grudingly gave us the name of another place. While we didn't end up staying at the new place they recommended, at least the new place was willing to help us find another accomodation. After my experience, I would not recommend using Beckers. But if you still want to use them, I suggest confirming your reservation several times. It was really annoying to arrive at a hotel ready to check in only to find that the management of the place had messed up your reservation. I'm glad other people have had good experiences with Beckers, perhaps mine was unusual.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Lila

Hi Marlyne - I just did a search of the web (MSN Search but I'm sure you can find it no matter what search engine you use, i.e., Yahoo) for Andy's Bistro, Jasper and got: http://www.visit-jasper.com/Andys_Bistro.html and there you go - pretty much everything you probably want to know about Andys. Hope you're able to access it.