Service Animals in Victoria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a short get away to Victoria this August. We have been there before and fell in love with this wonderful city.
Since our last trip I have developed a disability. I am in need of any information regarding service animals. I know the laws in the US, but does Canada allow service animals into resturants, shops, hotels, etc? What type of information do I need to bring for my service dog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 09:59 AM

In Victoria you can go anywhere with a service dog that you go without one. Go to http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/G/96177_01.htm and click on "2. Rights with a guide animal"
Sorry, I don't know what type of information, if any, you need to bring.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:43 PM

If you mean to bring your dog into Canada and back, the usual up to date rabies shot proof. Your vet will know more about this than we would.

If you are asking about proof to get into a restaurant, I would imagine any 'proof card' you carry in the US would work here.

I read there may be problems with a pig on some airlines, but your dog does not look like a pig, does it?
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

In the US I don't have to show a "proof card" to take my dog with me. He has a vest with patches that say "Service Dog". Usually this is enough proof. If a place does give my a hard time about my dog, I explain the Americians With Disabilities Act to the store/resturant/etc. manager and if they continue to give me a hard time, I leave.
I won't be flying, we'll be taking the ferry from Port Angeles. My dog looks nothing like a pig. He's a very cute miniature schnauzer.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:43 AM

The vest should be enough. You could even print out the page from the website I mentioned and hand it to people if needed... but I've never seen anyone with a service dog in a restaurant or on the bus get any argument.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:04 PM

We take our dog to Canada every fall. You need a health certificate from your vet; this must be signed no more than 7 days before your trip. Canada does not recognize the 3-yr rabies shot, so your pooch may need to get the 1-yr shot. However, only once have the authorities asked to see this certificate.
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Yes. I think a vest that says 'service dog' should be pretty self explanatory.

Would it be prying to ask what service he performs? Is he one of those cute dogs that barks whenever a phone rings or a bell goes off?

I am visualising such a dog in a restaurant full of cell phones could get quite a workout.

Victoria is as dog friendly as any city can be. We have scoop laws and no dogs allowed laws as usual.

It is customary to see half a dozen dogs tethered outside the grocery store right under the sign that says it is illegal to tie up a dog here. Usually there is a little old lady petting each one in turn.

Kind of says it all.
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

I have a condition that causes chronic pain and fatigue. Stress makes my condition worse. I often don't realize how stressed I'm getting, until my pain becomes unbareable. My dog senses when I'm getting over stressed and alerts me so that I can remove myself from the situation. I am also training him to pick things up for me, as I sometimes can not bend over. He is very well behaved in public, and knows not to bark when he has his vest on unless he's alerting me. When in a resturant he sits or lays quietly under the table and usually falls asleep. If there is anything else you want to know about my dog, just ask. The more people know about service animals, the less problems we, with disabilties, have.
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:14 AM

Thank you for letting us know what your dog can do for you. I hope if I am ever in the situation to need a dog, I will be able to get one.

I am not from Victoria, but on the east coast of Canada, it is not a problem to have service dogs any where. I have seen them in gov't buildings, restaurants, malls, etc.
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Thanks for sharing theladyjess. He sounds like a cute and faithfull companoin.