Seattle to Victoria and back

Apr 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Seattle to Victoria and back

My daughter and I are flying up to Seattle from San Fran for a wedding (Saturday, 7/21). We are staying until Wednesday (7/25) and would like to explore Victoria, B.C.

I'm renting a car in Seattle, so we will have wheels. Are there bridges/car ferry's/other from Seattle to Victoria?

Will I need a passport?

Last and certainly not least, please recommend places in Victoria for a mom and 16 yr old daughter to hang out that won't cost an arm and a leg ;o)

We would love to see the Orca's and wildlife in the area, but am not sure what's happening in July.

Thanks in advance!
Apr 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Hello sfgirr?l

Google on or search here for 'victoria clipper' as a first step. Click on fodors 'destinations' and then on their 'hotels' for a second and third step. Let us know where or what you would like to hang out for at would be a good fourth step.

We need help to help you..........
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM

No bridges from anywhere to Victoria.

Car ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles (look at Black Ball Transport website), Anacortes (look at Washington State Ferries website) which goes through the San Juan Islands, and from Tsawwassen, BC (look at BC Ferries website). The most frequent service is thru Tsawwassen and it is a lovely ferry ride (1.5 hours). During the summer I highly recommend making reservations for any of the ferry services. Line-ups are usually long without them.

The passenger-only service is the Victoria Clipper mentioned above.

No, you do not need a passport if you are a US citizen. However, you will need picture ID as well as proof of US citizenship (such as a birth certificate). As your daughter is a minor, you should check with a travel agent or Customs agent to see if you need notarized authorization from the other parent permitting you to take the child out of the country. Canadians are advised to have this when travelling out of the country and I have been asked for it several times.

Mom and 16-year-old hangouts in Victoria....Butchart Gardens is fabulous so take a picnic or buy one there.....feed the seals in Oak Bay (a couple miles from downtown)which is free except for a couple of bucks for the fish, which you buy there.....whale-watching half-day trip (do this out of Sidney for best use of your time).....walking the inner harbour and up Govt. Street.....we have a fabulous exhibit at the BC Museum (right downtown) that is on until Oct. featuring artifacts from the Titanic (I believe we are the only city on the West coast to get this) and it is supposed to be fantastic (you might want to look at the Royal BC Museum website to see if you should get tickets in advance).....hiking thru Beacon Hill Park.....shopping on Govt. Street and Johnson Street....take the ferry to Sidney Spit out of Sidney for a day of hiking....

Hope that helps! There is a good Tourist office here (Tourism Victoria) that might give you more info.
Apr 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM

took yesterday afternoon off to see the Titanic show and Imax film. Loved the exhibit; the film was just someone new at the Titanic site; seemed similar to film from Ballard's trips

We just walked in. I don't know if the museum is even doing reservations or timed tix

A/D
Apr 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM

The border crossing between Canada and the US can take a long time. I think your best bet is the ferry from Port Angeles, if you decide to take the car, as you clear the border from the ferry so it might not take as long. Crossing the border is becoming a real pain.

Everyone has to have a CERTIFIED copy of their birth certificate as well as a photo id if you don't have passports. If you fly, you have to have a passport.

Apr 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM

We did a whale watching tour out of Victoria 3 years ago at the beginning of August. We got some phenomenal looks at a pod of Orcas. They were all around our little boat and we got to witness several breaches! The pod we saw are year round residents in the area. I would think you'd have a reasonable chance of seeing whales in July, although you can never guarantee these things.

I also second the vote for Butchart Gardens; gorgeous place! Just wandering around the inner Harbor can be a lot of fun. The Empress Hotel serves an afternoon tea which might be fun for you and your daughter.