Okanagan Wine Area

Search

Okanagan Wine Area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okanagan Wine Area

My husband and I are thinking about a trip to the Okanagan Wine area this Sept 2007.
We would fly into Vancouver and stay a few days and then rent a car for our trip to Okanagan area.
We enjoy wine and have travelled to alot of wine growing regions. Could someone give me some ideas of where to stay and other things to do besides wine tasting?

Also after reading and studying the area I was thinking of taking in the Sunshine Coast while we are in the area of Vancouver.

Could someone map an itinerary for me that would allow us to do all of the above.

We will have about 10 - 12 days sometime during Sept 10 to about the 21st. We like to stay in B&B's and enjoy good wine and good food.

Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:48 AM
ltt

the okanagan is fabulous and it will be really nice in september once the really busy summer season is over.
i'd spend about 3 nights in vancouver, go up to whistler for 2 nights then down to penticton for as many nights as you can spare. naramata is a short drive from penticton and has lots of wineries in the area.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM

Penticton is a good area to make as your base - it's about equidistant from Kelowna and the more touristy/bigger wineries of the northern okanagan wine region and the smaller (but better, in my opinion) wineries of the south (between Oliver and Osoyoos), and close to naramata, which also has some excellent spots.

If you're into outdoor sports, and the weather is nice, there's the canal between Skaha lake and Okanagan lake in Penticton for tubing, although Sept might be a bit late for that...
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM

OhioDi, we have done this trip a few times. I agree with BikerScott about Penticton; we have stayed at both Kelowna and Osoyoos, and will be staying in Penticton at the end of May this year. We saw some neat bed and breakfasts around Penticton last trip (in the Naramata shelf region).

What sorts of wine are you most interested in? We like red wines best; for that, concentrate on the southern areas (Penticton-Osoyoos). The region really excels in white wine (and ice wine!); that seems to grow best in a more northern area.

Our favorites: La Frenz, Hester Creek, Quail's Gate, Noble Ridge, Gehringer, Burrowing Owl, Tinhorn Creek, Silver Sage (it's different, but go). For now, anyway; I hope to have new ones after this trip. There are also some very picturesque wineries there; Mission Hill is one, and I hope others add their favorites. A lot of these are small wineries vs. large production places; this is part of why we like them.

This is a big produce (especially fruit trees) area. For other things to do, check out http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/Regions...onOkanagan.htm. We've always wanted to check out the train ride in Summerland. I'm hoping traveller69 gives you some input here.

By the way, where in Ohio? My husband is from Ravenna.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Hi Sludick. I see some of our favourite wineries have become your's as well. I just happened to check the travel forum tonight before I shut down my computer in readiness for the trip back from Arizona to Oliver. OhioDi - I will be happy to add some interesting wineries etc when we get back to the Okanagan and I get my computer back up and running. Oliver is now the "Wine capital of Canada" and is just 20 miles from Penticton. We have dozens of wineries in the immediate area - most of them award winning. It is also just a beautiful spot to see - vineyards and orchards. You will be there at a great time as it will be almost harvest time depending on when you arrive. I will post some great websites when I get back up there. Just ask Sludick - you do have to watch out for the "rehab owls"!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM

Burrowing Owl Winery - http://www.bovwine.ca/

Great wine, great restaurant and stunning guest house - the photos do not do it justice.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:55 AM

mark
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM

traveller69 - how was Arizona?? We're headed back to Vancouver and then the Okanagan at the end of May/early June. Thanks for all your tips; yes, we have made some of them our favorites.

Would you agree with my impression about red wine being more to the south and white wines to the north?

OhioDi -- about the "rehab" owls -- there are donation boxes for "rehabilitating the burrowing owls." I'm thinking they have need of rehab from visiting too many wineries in the area
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM

Hi Sludick - Arizona was great but the weather was strange this year as it was most everywhere I think. Unusually cold then unusually hot. Its great to be back in the Okanagan and of course we brought sunshine with us. It will be hard to leave here to go to Victoria (tough life having 3 locations) I just made my local winery run so we are getting stocked up again. Just so you know Hester Creek Winery does an excellent Cab/merlot and a Pinot Blanc in a box. It is good wine - not like the Target stuff. I always keep that on hand along with the regular bottles of our favourite wines and wineries. The box is good though and great for travelling. It's the equivalent of 4 bottles and sells in the low$30/ range. OhioDi here is a great website that lists all of the wineries in the S. Okanagan http://www.okanaganimpact.com/Oliver%20wineries.html I agree with Sludick that the reds are better in our area. Noble Ridge has an absolute superb Shiraz and of course LaFrenz reds are incredible. Tinhorn has excellent whites Pinot Gris escpecially but they are not a friendly as the smaller wineries. There are so many really good wineries here (Oliver). I would recommend you stay in the south and forget about the Kelowna area as it is very busy and you wouldn't get a chance to spend time at each winery.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Traveller69

Thanks for the website. I have really been reading about the area and the more I read the better it sounds.
Right now it looks like we will fly into either Vancouver or Calgary and visit the Okanagan Wine during our stay. We would like to see Vancouver and perhaps some of the National Parks.

Do you have any suggestions about where to stay? I have looked at alot of B&B's and just can't decide??
Thanks
Diane
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Hi OhioDi

If you are looking for a b&b in the Oliver area here is a good website
http://www.gonorthwest.com/BC/okanag...dbreakfast.htm The only one I know from personal experience is the Above the Orchard. It is lovely but I am sure a lot of the others are too. I would recommend making reservations as soon as you firm up your plans as you will be here in a busy time. If you have any questions about anything else just ask. I know the wineries very well!!! At least the Oliver to Penticton, Naramata area. You will certainly love it here. Oh yes, if you want me to check out any of the local B&B's let me know as well and I can take a look at them for you.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Traveller69 Your offer is very kind!
I will certainly post more questions as they arise. Would you care to post your email address so I might correspond with you directly??
Thanks again for your kindness.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM

OhioDi - you can email me at [email protected] Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM

From Penticton B&B you could also drive north along lake toward Kelowna. On way you could visit the Summerland Ornamental Gardens (former fruit research station) or do the Kettle Valley steam railroad tour then lunch at Quail's Gate winery Old Vines Restaurant in Westbank (panoramic view, great food & wine - Old Vines Foch mmm) reservation advised. Then cross the bridge to Kelowna and visit the Wine Museum www.kelownamuseum.ca/#wine. We've found great bottles there and wineries info from K. to Oliver/Osoyoos. For dinner in Kelowna, Yellow House excellent or more casual try Le Triscel (?) creperie on Bernard or Jaxx on Lakeshore. Have a great time in my home country.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 10:29 AM
dar

There is a fantastic stretch of wineries between Osoyoos and Oliver. I've stayed at the R & R B and B in Osoyoos and highly recommend it. It is in a townhouse right on Osoyoos Lake, which would still be swimmable if the weather holds in September, which it usually does!n The restaurant at the Osoyoos Golf Course has a great view and is a very short drive up the hill from the B&B.