motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a week long motorcycle road trip with another couple to Nova Scotia just after the 4th of July. We are planning to take the CAT to Yarmouth and travel north up the east coast of NS to the Cabot Trail and then back to Yarmouth via the western coast. We will not be traveling west of Route 104. Any suggestions, must sees or definite don'ts??
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:03 AM

Get a copy of the Doers and Dreamers Guide. When you order it, they will also include, at your request, a copy of the motorcycle guide. It is written by a couple who are motorcycle enthuisiasts.

Definitely the highways will be in better condition that most of our backroads, but you miss so much scenery if you stay on the Trans Canada (pretty boring). Anything that interests you most?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM
BAK

Once upon a time I photographed an actor who also was a motorcycle rider and lived in Cape Breton. According to him, it was just about impossible to find a better place for a summer motorcycle trip.

Have fun.

BAK
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!! I ordered the Doers and Dreamers Guide and a few more. I've been hearing a lot of "rain" stories. Since we are (motor)biking, is early July a time we should expect a consideralbe amount of rain?
Also we are hoping to go from Dartmouth to Port Hawkesbury in one day following the coast most of the time. Is that too ambitious? We plan to travel the Cabot Trail the next day and stay in Port Hawkesbury again. Is this too much traveling? We are planning to take it easy the next day and just enjoy the area, staying one more night.
We will then set out for Wolfville for the next night, and then onto Yarmouth for our last night. Too much?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:56 AM

I would suggest the following:
Day trip from Dartmouth to Liscomb. Stay at Liscomb Lodge and do Sherbrooke Village, trout ladder, etc. Next day head for Baddeck - spend a day exploring and relaxing. The third day, hit the trail counter clock wise ending up in Mabou or around Port Hood. The third day puts you between 5-6 hours to Wolfville - so a lot of driving.

The trail demands a lot of attention while driving it - so it won't be an easy ride. The other suggestion with so few days would be to simply do the southern part of the Province - ie Yarmouth to Halifax - spend a day here - and then back through the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
ltt

if you end up in port hawksbury after a long drive and just want a basic place to sleep, i enjoyed the capeway motel - 624-2524. it only has about 6 rooms but the small rooms were done up really nice and comfy. the price was definitly right. when i was there, two different groups of people who where on bikes showed up. don't know if that was a coincidence or if it's known as a good place to crash. owner was very nice.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Check out this website http://www.novascotiabikers.com/
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that web site, Tanya. It had some great links. We've made some changes to our itinerary based on info I've been able to find via some of the links. Thanks to everyone for your input. What a great way to find good info!