Victoria biking in June

Apr 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Victoria biking in June

I've got a few days before a mid-June convention in Seattle and thought I'd take the ferry to Victoria and do some biking from there. So, I'm looking for ideas on places to stay, places to rent bikes, and bike routes. I thought I could either base myself in Victoria and take day trips out of the city, or try cycling from one city/town to another. When I'm on my road bike, I'm usually game for 20-40 miles per day. Any suggestions?
Apr 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM

The obvious choice would be the Galloping Goose Trail. I haven't biked any of it but think I'd like the stretch from Victoria to Sidney (north map) although you wouldn't have to go that far.

http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com/m...irections.html

You can rent bicycles in downtown Victoria near the harbour. They can probably help with routes. How to get from the harbour to the Goose? I don't know but a scenic route would be along the waterfront through Oak Bay.

http://www.cyclebc.ca/locations.html
Apr 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM

More googling for you. Victoria cycling coalition. Maps of recreational ride routes in pdf.

http://www.gvcc.bc.ca/
Apr 9th, 2007, 10:19 PM

Vttraveler,

The Galloping Goose starts off from the west end of the Johnson Street Bridge which is right downtown. The Goose goes out past Sooke about 80 km from the start. It provides access indirectly to good beaches like Albert Head and Witty's as well as the scenic Sookke Potholes.

At the Switch Bridge which is at the North end of town, the Goose goes westerly and the Lochside trail goes vaguely north which will take you alll the way up to the ferry terminal in Swartz Bay about 30km.

From Swartz bay you can take a ferry to salt Spring Island which has both road and off road options. The terrain issomewhat rugged

Just biking around Victoria, oak bay and esquimalt on city streets is pretty scenic and with lots of bicycles fairly comfortable. From downtown you can head out Dallas Road along the water which connects eventually to Beach Drive which will take you all the way up to the beach at Cadboro Bay

Depending on where you are from you may find the water too cold for swimming. But I'm part polar Bear and am in by June. Warmest swimming in town at Gonzales Beach which is shallow so warm w/ an afternoon high tide

You can peel off the Goose and get to Prior lake or Thetis lake for lake swimming as well

fyi 15% of the work force bikes to work

cheers

AndrewDavid

[email protected]
Apr 10th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate people taking the time to send me these tips. They're very helpful. I'm very impressed by what seems like heavy cycle interest on the part of Victoria residents.

A question about the Galloping Goose Trail -- what's the surface? I'm trying to figure out if renting a road bike (my preference) is possible to do various rides, or if I need something that can take more varied surfaces.
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Vttraveler,

The Goose is mainly paved or soft track for most of the way til the very end. The Lochside heading N is paved. I would imagine a road bike w/ good tires would be fine. I'm on my mountain bike, but I think that's not necessary

AndrewDavid
Apr 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Vttraveler

The local bicycle coalition has tours planned the 9 and 24 of June. If either of these dates are when you are here I can post details

cheers
AndrewDavid
Apr 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

AndrewDavid

The 9th and 24th are not dates I'll be in Victoria, but I appreciate the hospitable offer.

Any recommendations on a shop to rent a bike, or accommodations (B&B?) that are bicycle-friendly would be appreciated.

Vttraveler
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM

Here is the downside. Rentals. You mention 'when I'm on my road bike.' I can only find two that rent hybrid styles, none that rent road bikes. There are more that rent mountain bikes only.

Obviously since I live within a mile of both, I have never tried either.

www.sportsrentbc.com
http://www.cyclebc.ca/bicycles.html
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM

Vttraveler

I would imagine most B&B's would accept a bicycle
generally its safe enough here to leave the bike in the backyard under a deck

Could offer my guest room if just a few nights

AndrewDavid
Apr 28th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks to all for your kind advice -- and AndrewDavid especially, for the guest room offer. I should be fine, thanks, in a search for a B&B or motel.

I'm very much looking forward to visiting Victoria and environs. Sounds like I'll be renting a mountain bike or hybrid, but I still might make some inquiries of the shops suggested concerning road bikes.

Weather in mid-June -- likely a mix of sun and clouds, with rain a distinct possibility? Or is the good weather of summer beginning then?
Apr 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM

This is Victoria. A great day is sunny with cloudy periods. A good day is 30% chance of showers. The area is so green for a good reason.
Bring a nylon shell.
A good store to visit for an outdoorsy person is the Mountain Equipment Co-op on Government street. www.mec.ca for online browsing.
Apr 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM

vt traveler

today a beautiful day for the annual Times Colonist
10 k w/ over 10,000 registered. Felt like 70 fahrenheit

June should be fine weather, but you just never know. Most of us are outdoors whether its sunny or rainy; that's why we live here and love it!!

cheers

AndrewDavid

ps assuming vt is for Vermont? I spent summer as a kid in Charlotte on Lake Champlain. a piece of paradise as well

Search this Thread