Stags' Leap vs Stag's Leap

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone visited both of these wineries, and if so, which would you recommend for tour and tasting? Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM

I believe it's one and the same....

I do love their Chards!
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Actually, per my guidebook, there are definitely 2:

Stags' Leap Winery
http://www.stagsleapwinery.com/

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars
http://www.cask23.com/index-flash.htm

I'm very excited about my trip to Napa, but my time is limited and the choices are overwhelming! We arrive in OAK at 11:20, so I'm hoping to get to our B&B by 1:30-2. It seems most wineries close at 4-5 so I'm trying to pick a good one that is close to Yountville. Any other input would be appreciated!
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Well, I'd opt for Stags' Leap as they clearly have more than one stag. There must only be one stag at Stag's Leap, so big deal. More is better!
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Yes, becky they are two different entities. The Stags Leap appellation is famous for it's Cabernet.

As Gekko has said, Stag's Leap Wine Cellars is the one that produced the famous Cab that won the 1976 tasting in Paris.

Stags' Leap Winery produces fine Cabs as well.

Here's more on the scoop:

How Do You Spell Stags Leap?
One would be remiss, when addressing the Stags Leap District, to not discuss the lowly - but in this case, no less important – apostrophe. This mark, no bigger in the world at large than the bed bug, nonetheless indicates possessiveness.

And in the SLD, possession is two-thirds the law, or so we were schooled to believe. However, when two egos the likes of Carl Doumani and Warren Winiarski are concerned, the apostrophe only proves to be confusing.

Doumani and Winiarski were the owners of two of the earliest and perhaps most important wineries in what became known as the Stags Leap District. Both opened their wineries in the same year – 1972. Doumani’s was at an old winery that had been named Stag’s Leap after the rock formations or palisades that overlook the region, and whose heat-holding properties impact the vineyards in the district. Winiarski’s property sat on the Silverado Trail just to the south. Both chose to assign their wineries the same Stags Leap name.

Several court battles ensued, with the case going all the way to, but not heard by, the California Supreme Court. The litigations lasted over a dozen years, costing each man more than $100,000. In the end, the outsized Doumani and the academic Winiarski settled their differences - with an apostrophe.

Doumani’s wine became known as Stags’ Leap Winery, while Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars became Winiarski’s. Note the subtle difference. Dick Steltzner likes to say that the two men “fought a war over an apostrophe.” But to Warren Winiarski especially, the distinctions are important. Further, any chance he gets, the erudite and very likeable Winiarski will go out of his way to delineate the differences for you.

Incidentally, Doumani eventually sold the Stags’ Leap Winery in 1997 to Beringer-Blass and opened the Hundertwasser-designed Quixote Winery, specializing in Petite Syrah (his spelling) next door. Winiarski meanwhile, sold his winery to Chateau Ste. Michelle Estates and Piero Antinori a few months ago for $185 million.

There are at least four entities with the words "Stags Leap" in the title. Herein are the proper usages:

Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars
Stags’ Leap Winery
Stags Leap District (AVA)
Stags Leap Palisades or Promontory

from Appelation America Inc
Online Wine Portal

They are nearly next door to one another, so you could hit both !

R5

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars is the celebrated producer present at the famous (infamous) '76 tasting in Paris. (The 1973 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars S.L.V. Cabernet Sauvignon actually WON the tasting.)

The other vineyard is not.

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM

I'm familiar with Stags' Leap, and have enjoyed their Napa Valley Chard on a few occasions: http://www.stagsleap.com/pages/wines/wine/
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Interesting info...maybe we can just hit both, then I can post a comparison report
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM

well, years ago we visited Stag's Leap Wine Cellers. I had actually made an appointment for a tour, and we ended up on a private tour with one of the younger Winiarski's. It was out best tour in Napa Valley, and one of the best tastings. but I hadn't realized it had been sold, thats sad actually.

Stags' Leap Winery is generally the less well known of the two and does also make very nice wines, but I can't say I've ever visited it.