Favorite Amador Area Wineries

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Amador Area Wineries

I've printed out this Amador map of 30 wineries but now I'm wondering which 1 or 2 we should see. I'm the one who's looking more for scenery than wine.

Which places would you suggest?

Any of these have restaurants?

Or would you recommend eating somewhere else and just drive thru this area?

Sure need your ideas.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Is there a particular wine you enjoy more than others? Amador is known for Zinfandels but there is a variety. Do you have an idea of what kinds of wines you'd like to taste?
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM

The Story Vineyard has a nice deck with a view outside their tasing room and Amador Foothill Winery has some great views. Further way, try Granite Springs near Placerville. At Shenandoah Vineyards in Amador you get some nice views and one of the better gift shops in the area.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Would any of these wineries have lodging also?
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Suzie:

Sweet wines but then I understand that's not how a serious wine drinker would reply. AND at $25 a pop, I'll take Coke probably.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
none of them have restaurants (not allowed by county regs and the vintner association rules)

Deaver runs a B&B right next door
http://www.amadorharvestinn.com/
http://www.deavervineyard.com/

There are a couple of good places to eat in Plymouth

As for which wineries to visit - it really depends on what day of the week you are in the area. Some are only open on weekends or sometimes by appointment on weekdays.

Sobon is always good because of the history and an attached museum. http://www.sobonwine.com/

Dobra Zemlja is a good one place w/ good views across the fields. http://www.dobraz.com/

But honestly - as you loop around Shenandoah and Shenandoah School roads you will see one vineyard after another after another. Every few yards in some places, every 1/4 of a mile in others. You will not lack for scenery or tasting rooms. Don't over-think it too much. Once you get there you will see the entire loop is like driving through one enormous vineyard. Every little side road will have multiple signs pointing to other wineries not on the two main roads.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM

I will give you what I consider to be the five best wineries as far as a broad tasting experience at each winery. They are:Villa Toscana, Bella Piazza, Bray, Cooper and Sobon. Each of these wineries pour a wide range of varietals.As far as lodging look into Sutter Creek which is only about ten miles from Plymouth. There are many B&Bs and several good restaurants.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't recommend either Villa Toscana or Bella Piazza. They are bigger, more commercial sister properties. More like the "popular" Napa wineries w/ fancy gift shops, wedding venues, and such. They aren't very representative of the smaller, family run wineries in the area. They certainly aren't terrible, but if you stop by some of the smaller places you might end up talking w/ the vintner him/herself instead of marketing staff.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Deavers also have the Amador Flower Farm. A nursery for day lilies. Pretty impressive and fun, if you are into flowers

MY