Search

Carmel Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmel Trip Report

Just returned from 4 lovely days in Carmel-by-the-Sea. We stayed at the Normandy Inn on Ocean which was pleasant but it's time for them to replace the mattress in our room--it was starting to sag. All else about the Inn was fine including the breakfast.

We did a lot of walking around the town and at Point Lobos reserve. Enjoyed sunset on the beach the one night it wasn't foggy. Also made a visit to Cannery Row in Monterey. Walking was a good thing as this turned into a restaurant tour. One of our favorites was The Forge in the Forest where we enjoyed both lunch and dinner. Em Le's was great for breakfast on our way out of town (not all oatmeals are created equal). Casanova was the best experience with wonderful food, excellent service and a charming setting. The only restaurant I probably wouldn't return to was Lugano Swiss Bistro. It was fine just not particularly special.

Cottage of Sweets has very good chocolates and many candies imported from England. Next door is Tea Rose a charming shop selling tea things but sadly they cannot get permission from the city to serve afternoon tea. The Tuck Box calls itself a tearoom but really serves only breakfast and lunch. This town really needs a good tearoom.

Point Lobos Reserve has lots of trails along the ocean including one that is wheelchair accessible. Bring binoculars to view sea birds, seals and, if you are lucky, otters.

Sadly a few shops in Carmel were vacant including one of my favorite galleries. Enjoyed seeing "Greater Tuna" in the small playhouse at the Golden Bough.

We enjoyed a great escape to a charming town and cool weather in summer.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Oh, I'm so jealous. One of the most beautiful places on earth. Thanks for sharing! I agree about the need for a tearoom. That is a wonderful tradition that I wish all cities would adopt. I live in Washington, DC, and we have many choices for afternoon tea. I might print your trip report out and slip it under DH's pillow as a big anniversary hint.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the report on Carmel, we enjoyed a very nice stay at the Tickle Pink Inn this past May for my birthday. ***kim***
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Oh dear, you don't know about afternoon tea at the Cypress Inn? You must make a reservation, of course, but it is very nice and very special. Carmel is not lacking for a tea room, after all, we have a very nice one!http://www.cypress-inn.com/
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Scootoir: I am in the process of putting together a trip to California in November and was going to post my proposed itinerary for comments - your post comes at a perfect time !! It sounds like you enjoyed your stay - unfortunately , we only have two full days so I am taking notes and trying to choose the 'favorites' -

As of now, we are booked at the L'Auberge Carmel - did you happen to see it and have any comments on that choice? or TTess? (and I will definitely put the Cypress Tea Room on our list)

Scootoir, having never been to Carmel, I am thriled to see you enjoyed Forge in the Forest and Casanova sound wonderful, - I looked them up and they seem perfect - can you walk to both ? If you had to choose one which would it be - knowing this is a romantic get a way for my husband and I?

Thanks for the chocolate info ! I am a chocoholic so will definitely head to that Cottage of Sweets - and pack my binoculars !

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Escargot,

Glad to hear you will be visiting Carmel. DH and I went there on our honeymoon and try to get back every few years. It's lovely.

We walked past L'Auberge which looked elegant and peaceful. If they have rooms with fireplaces try to get one for November--very cosy and romantic.

I would suggest Casanova over Forge in the Forest for an intimate and special meal. It is located in an old house with several small dining rooms and patios. Don't know if they serve escargot but the menu is French and mediterranean. I knew I was in the right place when I saw the Citroen parked in the driveway.

W walked everywhere as Carmel has a small downtown but it is built on a fairly steep slope from the sea. Our hotel was near the bottom of the hill so we 50-somethings got a workout each day but we needed to work off the meals and those chocolates.

TTess--Thanks for the info on tea at the Cypress Inn. It looks like just the spot for tea.

Scootoir
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Scootair: thanks for that info ! I am looking forward to it and will bring the right shoes for walking everything off too - being 50something myself
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Hi Scootoir,

Curious, what was it that you liked about Forge in the Forest? To the locals, it's a place for tourists or to go sit on the patio for a drink, only, or for the kids to go to for inexpensive formal dance nights. It's certainly not a place I'd recommend to people.

Did you see the beautifully redone Carmel Plaza with the many new shops? How about the beautiful building going up on 6th St? Lots of wonderful shops coming to that location. It's nice to have galleries close, we have far too many. How many dreadful Jane Seymour paintings or Thomas Kinkade must the world see, you know?
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM

My tourist family and I have also always loved Forge in the Forest. It has good food (taste will always vary by person) and the atmosphere is unique. Making recommendations is one this, TTESS, but it sounds a little snooty to tell folks who obviously enjoyed it what kind of restaurant and art gallery they really should be liking.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Knute - Time to take a chill pill. I didn't use the word "should". Why are you shouting? After reading your other posts, I shudder at your scolding and negativity but can understand why you liked Forge. amp;

Carmel is a charming town and I enjoy living here. If I can give better suggestions to others, why not? It must be hot and muggy in the midwest, hence, your sour mood.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM

In nice trip report OP says Forge was one of his/her favorite restaurants . Local TTess informs OP that it is a place for tourists only and that she can't recommend it. Okay.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
SAB

No Knute, she asked what the OP liked about Forge because it does not have a good local reputation. I am curious also. Because it is a dog-friendly restaurant and I take my dog to Carmel with me, I have tried Forge on a couple of ocasions and found the food to be awful. So I'm curious.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:46 PM

SAB - I hope we haven't scared Scootoir off. We seriously would like to know what you liked about Forge so we can understand better...that's all. SAB and I have the same tastes in restaurants and I think I'll just have to have him over for dinner with his dog as long as our two four-legged babies can be good hostesses, that is.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM

I have 2 cents to give about Forge (and I am a local). In my humble opinion, 98% of the food is gross. But, the French onion soup and giant cookie dessert are yummy! The outdoor seating is lovely and now they have soft live music on the weekends.

My pooch begs to differ; he raves about the "dog pound" seating and loves the variety of options from the doggy menu. He gives it two enthusiastic paws up

Bubbly Fish is kind of a special romantic thing to do. Chocolate and Champagne, you can't go wrong.

I have never been to the Cypress Inn for tea but will go next week when my mom is visiting. Thanks for the tips!

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Travelbug - you're welcome. Make sure you make a reservation for tea.