Reload this Page >

Overnight trip to Victoria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Amy

Hi all,<BR><BR>We are going to be in Vancouver for about 3 1/2 days. Although I know this is not much time, my husband really wants to visit Victoria. Right now, i'm looking at ferrying our rental car over on the 8:00 a.m. ferry on Saturday morning so we can spend the day and night in Victoria, then leave Sunday (the next day) on the 11:00 a.m. ferry which will get us back into Vancouver without worry for our 5:30 p.m. flight back home.<BR><BR>I'm now wondering, with only an overnighter in Victoria, would it make better sense to just ferry ourselves over and rely on walking, public transport and cabs (if available) to see Victoria? It's such a short trip, I know we won't be able to squeeze a lot in so i'm wondering if it would even be possible to see other parts of Vancouver Island. <BR><BR>Any thoughts would be appreciated on whether to take our car or just ourselves. Also, I know the ferry trip takes 1.5 hours, how long should we plan for the whole trip door to door? Thanks!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Jan

I would probably leave the car in Van. For the ferry and 2 passengers return it would cost $100.00. If you get a bus or walk on it should be a lot cheaper. Check here! Should help you the details<BR>http://www.vicsurf.com/travel.htm<BR>Have fun<BR>Victoria will absolutely take up the whole day. No time to head up Island<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Sandy

Oh my, are all the ferries that much when you take your car? We're thinking about taking a ferry from Vancouver city to Olympic National Park, including our car. Do you have any idea of that cost? Or from where would you suggest we find a ferry that would be more convenient and less costly? Thank you.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Amy

Thanks Jan. Looks like it may be a bus ride for us. <BR><BR>When we get into Victoria itself, is it difficult to get around without a car? Should we rent one or is public/alternate transport okay? I haven't really been able to get a handle on the size of the city and surrounding areas. Any help would be appreciated.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Jan

1st link is for Vancouver to Victoria [Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay]<BR>http://www.bcferries.bc.ca/schedules/mainland/tssw-current.html<BR>2nd link for the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles [Olympic National PArk-Washington State]<BR>Watch for Cdn or Us funds<BR>I can appreciate wanting to know about these extra costs am planning a rather large trip to the States [ND,SD,WY,CO,AZ,NV,CA,OR,WA then home to Victoria] any tips for that would be appreciated.<BR>Have fun on your holidays<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan<BR>http://www.cohoferry.com/

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Jan

Amy, I think busing it would be just fine as it is for 1 day only. Butchart gardens [close to the ferries is pretty nice [I think about $15.00 per person tho]<BR>http://www.butchartgardens.com/main.php<BR>Then the downtown area is probably where you would spend the rest of your time it is quite walkable or there is the <BR>http://www.kabukikabs.com/ <BR>OK gosh darn it I really have to get some work done here so I can go on my holiday. Will check back later to see if I can be of any more help. This is the absolute best forum I have ever found.<BR>Happy travels<BR>Jan

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:33 PM
jan

Hi Amy<BR>Didn't quite make it back to work yet. I figured there would be some trips like this. Go to the Victoria section it has good info<BR><BR>http://www.tourismvancouver.com/docs/visit/day_trips.html#victoria<BR>Cyaa later

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Jan

One more but keep looking there should be more. These seem pricy but I don't think they will get much cheaper. Perhaps where you are staying in Van. may have day/overnight trips to Victoria<BR><BR>http://www.pacificcoach.com/tours/tour.cfm?tourID=2

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:59 PM
g mitchell

Amy, and others :<BR><BR>Downtown Vancouver to Downtown Victoria in the summer is about 3+ hours and that assumes you catch the ferry you are going for. If time is tight, you can reserve space of the BC Ferries www.bcferries.com<BR><BR>Cost of taking car and taking bus( www.pacificcoach.com ) is about the same. Bus is $29 one way, $56 return. You could cut costs by taking your car to the ferry and leaving it there and then going as foot passenger on the ferry and then catching public transportation to downtown Victoria but it would take you longer, cost for parking, and overall is probably not worth it.<BR>Costs for the ferry, if in peak season, ( June 27 - Sept 8 ) are 9.50 per person and between 31.50 - 33.50 for the car depending on week or weekend ( All in Can Dollars )<BR><BR>If you are only going to have 3.5 days in the area and you are going to spend 2 of them getting to and returning from Victoria, you have really short changed Vancouver which probably should have more time ( lovely city,lovely area )<BR><BR>cheers, enjoy, wherever you go.<BR><BR>And for Sandy ... there is no ferry directly from Vancouver to Washington State.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:35 PM
sandy

Thanks G. Mitchell for the post. So how would we go from Vancouver to Olympic Park - Pt. Angeles, if thats what we decide to do? Transfer somehow, but How Exactly? I'm thinking thats what my hubby will want to do. Any ideas? thanks again

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:46 PM
G Mitchell

You either go to Victoria via BC ferries and then Black Ball Ferries to Port Angeles.<BR>Note: this is the long and more expensive route and you cannot reserve on the Victoria to Port Angeles leg and they have very few sailing each day -- so make sure you check the schedules.<BR><BR>Other is to drive to Burlington on I5 then west to Anacortes then South on Whidby Island to Keystone. Take ferry from Keystone to near Port Townsend then drive to where you want to go. Once again,check ferry schedules. see www.ferrytravel.com or search for Washington State Ferry site.<BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
April

Sandy,<BR>When taking the Coho to Port Angeles, phone the company the day before and they can advise you how busy it will likely be. I feel safest timewise taking the first ferry out. Usually they will let you park early enough that you can wander off and have breakfast while your car is holding your space.