?s For Vancouver Natives

Search

?s For Vancouver Natives

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?s For Vancouver Natives

I will be in Vancouver September 17-19. I know that those dates are a transition period between Summer and Fall. My question is this; There are some things that are only available during the Summer like the Chinese Night Market and the shuttle bus through Stanley Park. Am I going to miss out on these things? I thought I read somewhere that the Chinese Market will still be going on through mid September, but now I have no idea where I saw that.

Also, what kind of clothes should I pack? I know about the rain-I just want to make sure I won't be the only one wearing T-shirts and capri pants. (of course I know to bring a jacket)

I can't think of anything else to ask, but if there is something else I should know please feel free to share.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:39 AM

I'm glad you posted as I'm going to be in Vancouver Sept. 15 to 18.

I didn't know about the Night Market and would like some info., too.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I will be visiting through the 30th. The 17-19 was a typo. (Just in case someone points out to me that the Night Market is only on the weekends.-that much I know)

MaryAnne, you may miss it unless you can go on the night of the 19th. (That is of course if they are even going to have it then.)
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 09:05 AM

The market runs until September 29th. Friday/Saturday/Sunday from 630pm-11pm, as per the following website:

http://modena.intergate.ca/the_lasource/chinatown.html

the shuttle bus through stanley park runs until September 28th, and is FREE!!!

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/park...UTTLE_info.HTM

as for clothes, prepare for rain, but not cold temperatures...shorts and/or capris would be work, and of course gortex. we have had very little rain this summer, so perhaps it will continue to be dry for your visit. falls are wonderful here, but a little late starting....so good weather could be still here. enjoy your visit!!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 12:19 AM

Yeah... I'd go as far as to say "expect little rain", because September is actually one of Vancouver's driest months. Mid-October is more or less the start of "rainy season", but even then, this fluctuates every year.

In September you can get away wearing summer t-shirts/shorts during the day, but you'd want to wear jeans/sweatshirt during the evening/night.

Everything goes in Vancouver in terms of fashion. It's a very casual city.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 05:12 PM

Hi, and what about mid october, Im going to be there (Vancouver, Seattle, Victoria) and I dont know if I should even pack at least a capri or short sleeves. Help please!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:02 AM

September is usualy a fairly dry and sunny month with mornings and evenings tending to be cooler than mid summer. Most of us here hope fervently for a few days of heavy rain becuase we are in a serious drought and unheard of water shortages loom if we don't get at least a couple of inches over the next couple of weeks.

If it does rain it will be cool but not cold. If it doesn't rain you'll need a warm wrap for evenings but short sleeves for afternoons. Shuttle busses through Stanley Park run pretty well all year but their frequency drops as the heavy tourist season wanes.

While a few leaves are falling even as we speak it's becaue the weather is so dry the trees can't support their leaves.
Real Fall doesn't start till October which generally comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion. That is the first two weeks are not especially cold but are often windy and increasingly we get more cloud than blue. The mornings become very cool and if it does get warm it's well into the afternoon when you can shed your jacket. the leaves start to change colour throughout the month and usually by mid October the weather has turned blustery. So long as it doesn't rain heavily this can be a very beautiful time of year for walking along the beaches. Walking through the parks can be fun if you enjoy frolicking among the fallen leaves. Although by the end of October temperatures can get down near to ffreezing, snow is virtually ungheard of at the lower levels. Most years the Mountains will get their first dusting before October is finished and that's always a beautiful sight.