Reload this Page >

restaurants in Victoria

Search

restaurants in Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Jill

restaurants in Victoria

We are spending the day in Victoria from morning till early evening. Any recommendations of casual restaurants? Any good outdoor cafes?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Coco

Jull,<BR>My husband and I spent a month's vacation on Vancouver Island, specifically Oak Bay, which is about a 10 minute drive from downtown Victoria, or less. There are many restaurants I can recommend. If you prefer to stay in and around the waterfront, for lunch is "Spinnakers,"located over in Songhee's area. It is a waterfront brewpub. Right along on Government St., (the main st.) is a deli. and right on the waterfront across from the hotel Empress is another casual rest. You may sit outside if you wish. If you get over to Oak Bay, try out the Marina Restaurant overlooking the boat harbor. Just below is a small outdoor serve yourself deli. t Fisherman's Whart, facing the harbor, is another small serve-yourself rest., "Barbara's" for the best fish and chips around. One can take a smaller boat from the main harbor to reach there. I can name more, but these are a few to mention.<BR>Enjoy...Coco

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:23 PM
jim

Paggliaccis-right downtown. Superb. Go early as they dont take reservations and are very popular

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:40 PM
jan

Thumbs up for Spinnakers.&lt;- quiet away from downtown good food.<BR>If you walk along the waterfront area from the Johnson street bridge [blue steel bridge] towards the Empress<BR>you will find many patio restaurants all have their menus posted outside to give you an idea of what they have. Fun area good for people watching. I have never been disappointed eating in Victoria. The cooks aroud here really have it figured out.Have Fun<BR>Jan

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Catherine

Hi Coco,<BR>Could you please tell me more about the fish and chip place, Barbaras? I read about this somewhere else and it sounded fun. Plus we love fish n chips. Does it take a long time for lunch between getting the boat there and back?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Lilliy

Any good restaurants in Chinatown?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:49 PM
rand

Catherine.<BR>It is actually Barb's not Barbaras, and is outdoor seating only on picnic benches. It is located on fisherman's wharf, in the James Bay area.<BR>It was a local favorite, but has recently become popular with tourists, so we do not go there anymore.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:00 PM
April

I don't go to Barb's because I thought their fish & chips were quite awful.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:17 PM
rand

Lilliy.<BR>Yes there are good restaraunts in 'China Town'.<BR>The most 'upscale' is Don Mees' which is on the 2nd floor and does good Dim Sum. Other than that, how can you go wrong in any restaurant with honey glazed ducks hanging in the window.<BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Lilliy

LOL - thanks, Rand!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Coco

Hi Catherine,<BR>Thanks to the person that corrected me on name of restaurant. It is Barb's, not Barbara's. I stand corrected.<BR>Yes, it is fun to eat at this place, expecially if you like fish and chips. It can get real crowded and you may not be able to find a place to sit. Barb's is a floating restaurant and one way to reach it is by smaller water taxi's that run about every 20 min or 1/2 hr from the inner harbor. It is a very short ride to the restaurant, about 7 min or so w/o any other stops along the way.<BR>To catch some photograph's of the restaurant, check out Barb's website at:<BR>http://www.bcexplore.com/barbs.htm<BR>If I can help you further, don't hestitate to post here.<BR>Regards, Coco

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Lynn

<BR>Im leaving for Vancouver next week and seeing as thoughBarbs is a place that doesnt have sit down service. I was wondering, do you happen to know if there is a down time during the day which would allow me to go there and not worry about not finding somewhere to sit? Also, these other restaurants that were recommended "spinnakers" is it a fancy restaurant or casual? what kind of food do they serve. thanks.<BR>Lynn

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Coco

Hi Lynn,<BR>I really don't know when Barb's has a downtime from their crowds. Luckily for us, we had our car, so one time we just carried our dinner to our car, ate there. Sometimes one just has to stand around until someone leaves the sitting areas. The tables are first come, first served sitting on on redwood picnic tables. Most of the time you will share a table with someone else. This is okay as this place is VERY casual. Sorry, but that is the downside.<BR>As to Spinnaker's restaurant, it is a very casual restaurant. Do not have to dress here. They serve mainly pub-style food...hamburgers, steaks, etc. <BR>Spinnaker's has a website if you would like to read their menu, I believe.<BR>Enjoy your stay in Canada. We hope to return back to Victoria sometime again this summer.<BR>Enjoy. Coco<BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Coco

Listed below are just some other casual style restaurants:<BR>-Milestone's, outdoor dining<BR>-Don Mee Restaurant (Chinatown)