Tauca Lea - Ucluelet

Apr 15th, 2001, 02:45 PM
LM

Tauca Lea - Ucluelet

Can anyone tell me anything about the Tauca Lea by the Sea resort in Ucluelet, Vancouver Island? It looks lovely on the web page....

Apr 15th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Carl Z

It's a brand new place I can tell you that it didn't make last year's BC Accomodations Guide .
If it's that place at the end of the slough in 'downtown' Ukee then I wouldn't recommend it.
The smell at low tide---WHEW!!!
As to it being 'on an Island' well it depends how you define 'Island' it might be out past the Indian Reserve which makes it a good distance from town, distances are not great in any case.
So many new places are going up.
Ukee itself is a blue-collar town not a heckuva lotta anything on offer although that is slowly changing.
Many of the locals still work, or wish they had work, in the Logging Industry, not a terribly genteel bunch there is a certain mood of resentment at times towards visitors who come for a few days, drop what is for locals a months wages and move on.
It's not late in the season to book and for that kind of $$$$$$ I'd suggest you try to stay closer to Tofino.
Remember that almost all the accomodations there require a minimum stay 3 nights at least.

Apr 22nd, 2001, 01:04 PM
Colin

Tauca Lea by the Sea resort in Ucluelet:
Very nice. Visited there 2 weeks ago. Walking distance to downtown Ucluelet.
Ucluelt has grown up a lot in the last few years. More restuarants. More activities. If that is not enough, drive into Tofino for even more variety.
Colin: editor: www.coffeecrew.com

Apr 28th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Brad Hansen

Don't waste your time with Ucluelet - it's the town that wants to cash in on Tofino's savvy success. Yes, they may have a few new businesses cropping up but they haven't got the class that Tofino has (ultimately it's a logging town waiting for the day they can log again - as in, never!!! - They've already destroyed their own back yard.) Do not waste your money - go directly to Tofino.

Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:55 PM
Phyliss

I'm sure this is too late a response, but I just stayed at Tauca Lea this past week and LOVED IT! We ended up adding an additional night to our trip. The suites are beautiful and have gorgeous views. Ucluelet is a very, very small town, with a handful of small low-key "local" type restaurants. But you're not really going there for the food, are you? It's a BEAUTIFUL area, wonderful hiking, boat trips, etc. If you want more upscale, go to Tofino, which is also still quite small. But we really enjoyed Ucluelet & the Tauca Lea. Tauca Lea doesn't have a restaurant or any resort-type amenities as of yet, so it's really just a beautiful place to sleep...

Jul 13th, 2002, 10:09 AM
JL

Any updates on this place?

Search this Thread