Need 2 hotels in Montreal

Jul 23rd, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Need 2 hotels in Montreal

We will be visiting Montreal twice next month and would like to experience two different hotels. I thought it might make sense to stay in the old section of the city on one visit, and downtown the other. We like to stay at very nice hotels (beautiful clean bedrooms very important). I had decided on Le St. James, but is it worth the money? I have seen great reviews of Hotel Gault, but another site only rated it one star. Or is there another hotel you would recommend? For our other visit I am trying to decide between Loew's Vogue and Sofitel. Or would it make more sense to stay at the Vogue on one trip and Sofitel the other and not in Old Montreal? Thanks for any help!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:43 AM

Well, I will be there next weekend and am booked to stay at a place called 'Le Saint Sulpice' which is in the old section. Not sure if you can wait till after I get back to make ur reservations!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 09:31 AM

I've been to Montreal twice in the past 18 months and have stayed at Place d'Armes in Old Montreal and the Le Germain up by Rue Sherbrooke(sp?) Both are boutique style hotels, very beautiful and impeccably clean. The Place d'Armes has a wine & cheese reception every evening and both have a nice breakfast included in the rate. Both rooms were extremely comfortable but the room at the Germain was absolutely huge. We had a corner room. There was a king bed, a large wall unit with tv, stereo, mini bar and drawers as well as a sitting area. We still had room for two masseuses(spl? to set up their tables and provide my wife and I simaltaneous massages. Staff was great at both places but the Germain was just a little bit more attentive. This is typical of the Germaine group. I've stayed at their sister property, Le Dominion 1912 in Quebec City as well. I'm not sure what else you'd like to know so if you'd like more specifics just ask.

Bud
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:18 AM

buddyboy,
We love the Germain for all the reasons you mentoned. Also, last time we were there in November, there was nothing like sitting in the lobby by that huge fireplace and having a drink before we went to dinner. Our room overlooked the street and at night all the buildings and small trees in front are lit up, very pretty view!
The staff (at least the desk and doormen) have been there since they opened, a really great bunch of people.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Le Saint Sulpice (which I think is in Vieux-Montreal) did look great on all other sites I checked, but I'm just wondering about some of the negative comments mentioned in the user reviews on this web site. The Germain looked great, but that is a downtown hotel - would you recommend it over the Loew's Vogue or the Sofitel? Thanks!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Also, is the Germain more geared towards business travelers? We are a family (children are 12 & 15)
Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:09 PM

We are a couple from NYC and have never been to Montreal for anything other than fun holidays.
We went to the Le Germain in Oct 2001 when our trip to Italy had to be cancelled. By chance, I had read about the hotel in a Canadian paper reviewing a hotel (the Arc) in Ottowa.
We thought that instead of staying in the Omni (where we stayed a few times) that we would try the smaller more European type of boutique hotel.
We have gone back every year since, twice a year a couple of times. We have never been disappointed, we even met the owner Madame St Germain a couple of times. She is charming.
I like to be near rue Sherbrook..sort of like being on or near Fifth Avenue in NYC. The Le Germain is about half a block off of Sherbrook. The Vogue is more in the middle of things with no pleasant views that I know of.
The Sofitel would be my second choice if I ever did not stay at the Le Germain.
Every time we have been there, we have seen children, not babies but young, maybe 10 being the youngest.
It has a very cool interesting clientele.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:08 PM

I have to pipe in with le Germain; I stayed there 2 nights recently when our floors were being refinished. We brought our dog with us; I saw a few young families with kiddies having breakfast at 7 a.m. while I was getting a coffee and taking the dog out for her first walk; it's that kind of hotel. Lots of business people also.

I've stayed at the Vogue also; right in the swing of things. Busy area in the summer.

I have walked by the St. James; looks wonderful.

Jul 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM

You took your dog to the Le Germain?? How big is it?
We have a standard poodle, quite well trained and traveled but I never thought that they would allow dogs!
I am thrilled, maybe (since we have no dog sitter yet where we have moved to) I can bring him with me, next trip
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Ours is a 15 pound bichon; I saw some hotel guests walk out with a huge dog one morning. The manager's large poodle was sprawled by the front desk one afternoon; the bellman told me this dog is rarely there
but was waiting to be picked up for a vet appt.

So the Germain is dog friendly; there's a surcharge for the dog but I forget how much.
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Thank you so much!
I have met the hotel dog and almost got to take him for a walk
Nice, isn't he ?

I will look into this, Pup weighs about 60-65 lbs..hard to get into my purse LOL