HELP with Montreal lodging

Nov 4th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Elisa

HELP with Montreal lodging

Here's the deal. Going the 1st wk of December with my girlfriend. We are celebrating the 20th anniversary of our friendship. We're leaving our families home. We also both turned a young 40 this year and are adding that to our reason for taking off. SO, where should we stay??? We like to drink, eat, shop. I want a safe, hip, great location. Please help.

Thanks!!

Nov 4th, 2002, 03:34 PM
TC

Do not think one minute more. Stay at Hotel Place d'Armes. It is all you are asking for and more. The rooms are great - stylish and romantic with huge soaking tubs. But you might want a suite with jacuzzi for this special occassion. We just spent five days there and I never wanted to leave the room. The young hip staff will bend over backwards to make your stay memorable. The romantic fireplace in the small lobby is a great place to cozy after returning from a cold days outing. There is a sumptuous breakfast buffet each morning and wine and cheese by the fire each evening included in the price ($250 CDN, $157 USD) This is a good location in Old Montreal with a Metro stop just two blocks away. There are lots of wonderful restaurants in the area and the Basillica just across the square is breathtaking. There are even horsedrawn carriages right outside the hotel door. I've stayed in a LOT of hotels and this is one of the very best - anywhere. Its the one!

Nov 4th, 2002, 05:31 PM
xxx

I think Elisa is going to Montreal with her girlfriend, not her significant other. TC, you might want to rethink the "romantic" portion of your suggestion. I'm thinking that Elisa and her girlfriend will want to do more sightseeing out of the hotel room than in it.

On that note, try the Crowne Plaza on Rue Sherbrooke, which is only one block from Rue St. Denis where there are many cafes and boutiques. There's a metro station around the corner from the hotel.

Nov 4th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Donna

Hotel de la Montagne. They have a website.

Nov 5th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Elisa

xxx is right TC, I'm not going w/ my mate, though if/when I do, I've certainly tucked your suggestion away. I'm leaning toward downtown vs. Old Montreal for lodging. Thanks TC/ xxx & Donna for your suggestions. Anyone else - bring it on. I'd really like to wrap up my plans and make reservations over the next couple of days.

Nov 7th, 2002, 10:36 AM
xxx

Elisa, if you are aiming towards a downtown location, I have several suggestions. I personally would recommend the Loews Vogue. Its located on de Montagne, on the corner of Ste Catherine. Right next to Ogilvy's, the Eaton Center and much more. You are also close to Crescent street where you'll find great bars, clubs and restaurants. If you want to be a little closer to McGill College street (close to the "underground shopping" , there is the Delta Montreal on President Kennedy. Its not really luxurious but they do have large rooms, an extensive health club and executive level rooms. Here are some more recommendations: Omni Montreal, Queen Elizabeth and Le Germain.

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:24 AM
kate

Having just returned from MOntreal and staying at the Le Germain, that is what I would recommend
kate

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:43 AM
xxx

What about the Intercontinental? I read a good review of it at Epinions but I don't hear it mentioned on these boards.

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:48 AM
xxx

The Intercontinental, while a great hotel, is not in a prime location. While it is kind of close to Old Montreal, it is quite a walk. I guess that's why...