Montreal/Quebec City for Christmas/New Year

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't bought any tickets and am still in the early planning stage (deciding between this destination or Charleston/Savannah). I would like to fly into Montreal on December 24th, spend 2 days there, take the train to Quebec City (allowing one day for this), spend two days there, and the fly back to Newark on the 30th. Right now I don't have any particular museums I want to see, as the main focus of the trip is to see the European-style Christmas lights and decorations against backdrop of European architecture and snow, so right now I am thinking just walking around in the various neighborhoods/parks for a couple hours at a time, and then pop down to the Underground City or cafes for an hour to warm up. I found a couple hotels in the Latin Quarter that seems to fit my needs and budget.
I have a few questions regarding the trip right now.
1. Is this doable via public transportation? I do not want to rent a car or drive.
2. Will the Underground City and cafes all closed up on December 25 (and possibly 26th too), or is it better if I shift the trip one day and just fly down on the 25th and start sightseeing on the 26th?
3. Would it be better to fly into Montreal to see it first and then Quebec City, as I have planned, or the other way around?
4. Do I need to pre-book the train ticket between Montreal and Quebec City, or it is pretty safe to buy the one-way ticket on the day of the train ride at that time of the year?
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM

#1. Yes, do-able via public transit. Like many Montrealers, I don't even own a car... lots to do without. Quebec City is quite manageable without a car too.
#2. One can usually find *something* open even on holidays, but a lot will be closed. Downtown will be quiet.
#3. I'd fly into Montreal.
#4. I've usually been able to book trains to Quebec City not far in advance (day before, few days ahead). I don't know if I'd wait until the day of your journey though, as it'll be more expensive and potentially booked. You could always take the bus last-minute in worst case scenario, which runs hourly to Quebec City and is reasonably comfortable.

I live in Montreal, love the city & think Quebec City is a pretty fascinating place also. This said, for my money, I'd go with Charleston or Savannah instead around Christmas. Montreal & Quebec can be bitterly cold this time of year, which might be particularly unpleasant with your goal of walking around exploring architecture and neighbourhoods. The Underground City is downtown Montreal only (which while it has a few highlights in my opinion is not the most charming area of the city) and is pretty run-of-the-mill urban shopping malls mostly... you can't pop into it easily from interesting neighbourhoods like Mile End, the Plateau, the Gay Village, Little Italy, etc...and not at all while you're in Quebec City. Cafes are great as you say for warming up, but I can't be as appreciative of my surroundings personally when all I want to do is to get myself indoors! You might be lucky and get a nice winter day (around minus 10 maybe, but sunny), but then again you might not. I do recommend highly a visit to Montreal and Quebec City... when the weather warms up.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM

IMO the Via Rail business/first class is very good value and a great way to travel. You can often get last minutes deals. www.viarail/en/deals The Biosphere in Montreal is a wonderful place to visit at any time of year, and the tropical section a bonus in the winter. I think travelling on the 25th makes sense, as so much would be closed then. If you come, bundle up and enjoy!
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 02:21 AM

Did this years ago Gault was great in Montreal train was nice

Chateau Frontenac wea best most festive a do not miss...

fairmont.com/frontenac

Go fot it!
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the great information. After calculating the expenses and taking the ease of transportation into consideration, I have decided to go for the trip.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Enjoy yourself, and let us know how it goes.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 04:13 AM

Another consideration is that in Canada Boxing Day is a stat holiday so there may be a lot of businesses closed that day in addition to Christmas Day.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Just got back from the trip. I arrived in Montreal on Christmas day and spent two days there, then took the train to Quebec city and spent a day and half there. Went through a snow storm in Montreal and then one in Quebec city. Lots of snow everywhere, but I didn't drive, so it wasn't as a big deal as I thought it would be, and I was able to stay warm in the down parka while walking around sightseeing. Enjoyed the trip very much. Already thinking about going somewhere cold again next Christmas.