Montreal and Quebec City for Christmas

Nov 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Montreal and Quebec City for Christmas

My daughter and I live in San Francisco and want to go to Montreal and QC for Christmas season. Should we fly to Montreal and then bus/train to Quebec City.? Any assistance about this trip would be appreciated! Need help soon so I can try to get a cheap flight. Thanks!
Nov 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM

There are trains (google Via Rail) that run between Montreal and Quebec City. Have never taken one, but should be quite doable, about 3 hours. It sounds like you don't want to rent a car, so you may want to try to book hotels in the main tourist areas, e.g. in Montreal either downtown or "Old Montreal" (which aren't that far apart anyway), in Quebec City, in or as close to the "Vieux Quebec" (Old Walled City) section as possible which is the main tourist destination part of that city. Montreal is a bigger city - more cosmopolitan, more big city type attractions and offerings; Quebec City features a beautiful historic section with great architecture, cobblestone streets, little specialty shops, etc.
Nov 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
BAK

You'll find non-stop, or, at worst, one stop flights from SF to Montreal, but probably not to Quebec City.

So, it makes sense to start and end your visit in Montreal.

And yes, there are both buses and trains from Montreal to Quebec City. My choice would be train.

In Montreal, the main train station is in the heart of downtown, making it a convenient departure point. Plus, when leving Mtl., there's really good food for sale at the station, for you to enjoy on the way to QC.

BAK
Nov 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Hi walker,

I would start in MTL as mentioned above as it's more convenient. The Via Rail train between the two cities is comfy and enjoyable, hassle free.

Both cities are magical around the holiday time, you will love it! If you are in MTL on the 26th of Dec. we have AMAXING boxing day sales....get ready! Also don't forget to check out the big xmas tree at Place Ville Marie downtown. The Ogilvy window on Ste. Catherine street is a Montreal classic as well...and refurbished as of this year.

Montreal has great xmas spirit with most stores decorating nicely, playing xmas carols etc etc...you can't help but to be merry in Montreal over the holidays.

If you have any other questions don't be shy!!

Layla
Nov 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Hello in wonderful San Francisco.

I mentioned this on another thread and can't vouch for it but the "Christmas at the Château" package looks like a marvelous deal. It includes four nights at the Chateau Frontenac and their six course Christmas dinner "with orchestra in the ballroom," plus tours and midnight Mass.

http://www.quebecculture.travel/
Nov 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM
LJ

Quebec City has a marvelous Christmas store on a street adjacent to the Chateau Frontenac...I wish I'd made a note of the name but we were hunting for a restaurant at the time...which, BTW, we found and would happily recommend: Aux Anciens Canadiens.