Vancouver here we come - thanks to BA miles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just managed to book some flights from the UK to Vancouver for the last 2 weeks in June next year. I'd been saving my BA miles for a while and realised that thanks to the current BA miles offer of 50% miles needed (ends midnight tonight), we could travel Club World, rather than economy! It was an offer we couldn't refuse.

We visted Canada a few years ago, flying to Calgary and touring the Rockies, staying at Canmore, Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff and we loved the scenery and wildlife. Though we planned to return, the offer has taken us by surprise, so I have done no research. I'm obviously going to do my research, visit the library, book shop and online but any suggestions would be most welcome. I got a lot of helpful advice on here last time. We are a 50-something couple who love scenery, walking (not too strenuous), wildlife, photography, gardens, etc. We are not keen on big cities and would prefer to avoid them. We like to hire a car and do our own thing. Any suggestions on where to start would be most welcome
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM

Given your interests, you should definitely plan to include some time in Tofino as part of your trip. If you do a search on the forum here, you'll find lots of posts about Tofino to get you started.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Since you've seen part of the west, why not consider Quebec (Quebec City, Mont-Tremblant, Charlevoix Region, etc.) or the east coast (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cabot Trail, etc.) Beautiful scenery there too.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM

But andie they've already booked a flight to Vancouver.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Oops!! I managed to miss the first sentence and saw...2 weeks in June and...we visited Canada a few years ago! Never mind then! Oh well, next trip!
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM

...I would second Tofino in that case!
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Hi there,
2 weeks to explore the BC West coast in June.
Even though you dont like cities so much, I would schedule 2 or 3 days in Vancouver at the start to recover from jet lag and see the natural beauty of the city. Then I would take the ferry from Tsawwassen (45 mins from Van) to Saltspring Island, (you could overnight at one of the smaller islands enroute- all worth exploring - Galliano, Mayne, or Pender (or not) and then drive across Salt Spring (after spending a night or 2, or not) to the Vesuvious ferry from Salt Spring to Crofton on Vancouver Island, bypassing Victoria.
From there, I would spend a night or 2 at Yellowpoint Lodge
www.yellowpointlodge.com
and then drive to Long Beach, stopping in Errington on the way to take in the Wildlife Recovery Centre -
www.niwra.org
an amazing chance to view owls, eagles and other wildlife up close during their rehabilitation back to nature, although there are some residents that will never go back.
Stay a few nights in Tofino or Uclulet.
Back up island to Comox -take the ferry over to Powell River then drive to Saltery Bay, take the ferry to
Earls Cove - stay at Ruby Lake Resort
www.rubylakeresort.com
Drive to Langdale, ferry to Horseshoe Bay and then drive to Whistler for your last few nights, and back to Vancouver.
Lots of side trips on this itinerary, also the ferries can be costly, but well worth the experience.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks - a few ideas to get me started. I'll no doubt be back on here with lots more questions in the coming months.