montreal hotels/help

Search

montreal hotels/help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
montreal hotels/help

I planning a trip to Montreal over Thanksgiving weekend. Now please forgive this ingnorant question. Do Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving? If so I am just wondering if the City would be closed down like it is in the states on that Thursday. My other questions are where to stay. I would like a neighborhood with cafes and good restaurants. Delta? or Omni? I have a good pakcage that I could by for either hotels. THanks for any input you have.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:00 PM

We have already celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada (Oct 10), so it will be an ordinary Thursday in Montreal in late November.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
BAK

There will be lots of Americans in Montreal; wise tourists in a great city.

The hotel does not matter. They are about five interesting blocks apart, and there's something bo be said for each location.

I might argue that the Delta is a bit closer to more cafes, while the Onmi is closer to more restaurants. But that's a pretty subtle distintion.

Try http://www.montreal.worldweb.com/Map...p.html?map_id=

If it works, you'll see a good map of hotels and fancy restaurants.
BAK
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:36 AM

If you choose the Delta, make sure it's the one on President Kennedy. The Other Delta is in a less interesting area of the downtown. The President Kennedy location is a short walk to the big stores on St. Catherine, and about 6-8 blocks to the plateau/st.Denis area with all it's cafes and small shops. The Omni is also a nice, upscale area, a bit further west. Therefore the Omni is more in the downtown/McGill/Crescent street area, but further from the plateau.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:29 PM

We just returned from a five day trip in Montreal. This city is one of my all time faves! We stayed three nights downtown at the Clairon Suites (2100 De Massoneuve), one night in Old Montreal at the Bonaparte Inn and the last night in the Plateau-Mount Royal area on St. Denis and Rue Rachel. This proved to be a great way to see different faces of the city and take advantage of the museums and shopping downtown and the charms of Old Montreal and the hip area St. Denis/Mount Royal/St. Laurent. We had a fabulous Italian meal our first night at a little hole in the wall one block away from our hotel -- it was a BYOB and very traditional: Chez Ennio.
I could go on and on, but I really recommend bouncing around the city a bit if you can. In the past, we have always stayed in one area of Montreal. Yes, you can take transportation around to the other parts, but I think our experienced was more enriched and convenient by staying in the different areas. I do not speak French and I have to say that every single person I encountered was warm and friendly and funny. Montreallers are wonderful and I truly adore them and their fabulous city. Have fun... take advantage of the wonderful shops and the terrific food!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Hi Mijois,

Where did you stay when you were in the Plateau area?

My husband and I love Montreal too, so close to NYC, but with a very different and special energy.

Cheers,
Betty
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:53 AM

HI Betty,
We stayed at: Hotel Anne Ma Seour Anne (4119 St. Denis). It was very clean and quaint and the location was super!

Mij

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM
P_M

kimm, your question is not at all ignorant. Most of my friends here in the US have no clue that Thanksgiving (at least the one in Nov.) is an American holiday. They have a hard time believing it's not celebrated everywhere at that same time, so I'm impressed that you had the good sense to ask.

When I visited Montreal I stayed at the Queen Elizabeth hotel. Quite lovely, excellent service.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Mijois,

Thanks! I have heard nice things about Anne Ma Soeur.

I am moving to California soon and will truly miss being so close to Montreal!