Travel to Montreal and Quebec City

Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Travel to Montreal and Quebec City

I am planning to travel to Montreal and Quebec city somewhere around July. I will have a total of 4 days for these two cities. Will this much time be enough? Since this is our first trip I want to visit the most common tourist destinations. Do you know of any tour company that maybe organizes one day trip to Quebec city from Montreal. Please advise...
Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM

4 days is enough to get a good feel for each of these cities. I would do 2 nights in each - Montreal is much bigger with many more restaurants, shopping, etc. However QC is so scenic and charming, and the outlying countryside is very pretty, especially Ile de Orleans. I don't think an organized tour is necessary, just go to the bonjourquebec site to get lots of info.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM

Bonjour, mes amis. My husband and I would like to holiday in Montreal in July, 2005. We are thinking about staying at Hotel St. Malo on Rue du Fort, near Concordia University. Is this a good area that is close to downtown Montreal sites?? We are very athletic, walking 5 miles a day would not bother us.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM

Rue du Fort is in an 'ok' location. It is at the far western end of the downtown area. This area is safe, and not too far from all the shopping and excitement of St Catherine. It's also a bit more 'anglo' in this part of town. I personally prefer to be closer to St. Denis and the plateu area with all its cafes, byob's, funky shops, and French ambiance, but where you are is just fine.
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Zootsi.
Please recommend some not so expensive hotels or B&B in old Montreal and old Quebec City. I am willing to pay up to Can$150 a night
Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:51 AM

In Quebec City, the James Thompson B&B is a very nice place in the perfect location. He even has a tiny parking area. I don't stay in Montreal's Old City area, so I have no feedback for it.
Mar 4th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at this B&B:
Château des Tourelles located at 212 Rue St-Jean

Is this a good B&B and is the location good?

Mar 5th, 2005, 04:54 AM

thingorgus, I walk by that area often so I'll try to have a look at the st.malo, never heard of it, it's close to guy street. Was this choice price-driven and did you compare with other
hotels ?

Mar 8th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Dame - you might also look at the Hotel Des Coutillier (website is http://www.hoteldescoutellier.com/introang.html). My aunt and I stayed there after a recommendation on this forum, and we loved it. It's reasonable and it's at 253 Rue St Paul, so it's right down the street from the one you mentioned.

Look for my Quebec City trip report for more details on the hotel.

Karen
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Toronto Life just published their 2005 getaway guide and for reasonable in Mtl., they list Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine (1-800361-4506) on St. Denis and Angelica Blue B&B near Old Mtl. (1-800-878-5048)