Places and things in Montreal to avoid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be spending a week in Montreal in August. I've heard all the great things to do in Montreal. But what areas should I avoid? Any advice on what NOT to do?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Terrence/ Victorious McElfresh
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Interesting question. We have been to Montreal about a dozen times in the past few years, and we have done a fair amount of exploring around the city. Like any big city, there are some neighborhoods that are not very exciting or comfortable to be in. I really had to think hard to come up with any for Montreal. I do remember driving around the southwestern part of the island and seeing some pretty depressed neighborhoods, but this was well off the beaten track for visitors. <BR>As for the more 'visited' areas; the few blocks around the downtown bus station, near the intersections of St. Laurent and St. Catherine, is a bit seedy, with it's share of vagrants and sex shops. It is not particularly dangerous, however. On a more postitive note, we have visited many, many delightful areas of Montreal, with quiet tree lined streets and brightly painted French Victorian homes, interesting ethnic neighborhoods, and tranquil parks. One mistake many first time visitors make is staying only in the downtown and Old Montreal areas, and missing out on all that this city has to offer.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:33 AM

<BR>I cannot think of one thing to Avoid in Montreal<BR>Maybe avoid getting stuck in Chinatown, thinking you can walk back to rue Sherbrook.Something we did one year and we were so exhausted by the time we got back to the hotel!<BR>There might be a couple of restaurants to avoid, but I don't know them.<BR>Maybe avoid shopping in Vieux Montreal, unless you absolutely need a hockey tee shirt. But do go there, it is great walking the old cobblestone streets and going down by the water.<BR>Sorry-I can think of more things you Must Do than not<BR>Btw-we go in August many times, it is great!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Frankly, there is no reason to be fearful of crime in Montreal as it has one of the/ if not the lowest crime rate for a large city in North America. That being said, there are always a few neighborhoods that you may want to avoid, such as the Lower Cote-des-Neiges area at night, but since most tourists stay in the downtown/plateau/old montreal area, you have nothing to worry about. Just be vigilant and you will be fine.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:42 PM

I've lived in Montreal a total of nearly 6 years...here's my take.<BR><BR>I even walk in lower Cote des Neiges at night to get home; I've only felt ill-at-ease here a few times...typically between 1am and 3am on Saturday/Sunday, but generally I feel perfectly fine in this neighborhood.<BR><BR>What do I AVOID? Hmmm...well, I stay away from some of the Chinese buffet places on de la Gauchetiere (and Kim Foo downtown), as I think the quality of their buffets are DUBIOUS at best. But cheap, all-you-can-eat, even if questionable, does seem to attract customers. <BR><BR>As far as neighborhoods go, some people I know tell me to avoid Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (near Frontenac/Prefontaine metro), but I really have little experience with the area...and certain friends even like the area with its modest rents!<BR><BR>The West Island has a lot of dull strip malls and a whopping number of cookie-cutter residences that hold probably little interest for the visitor, but even there, there are some jewels of restaurants and the occasional quaint section.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Daniel... I never thought Kim Foo was as bad as you made it seem. There are some good Chinese Restaurants on Queen Mary and Van Horne, with excellent Lunch specials starting at 3.95$. For Szecuhan, try Papillon de Szechuan or Peking Gardens both on Queen Mary - metro Snowdon. For outstanding Cantonese, try Yangtze on Van Horne - metro Plamodon.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:22 AM

Avoid the Canadians.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:09 PM

Celfan You have a good point about avoiding the canadians.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 09:19 PM

Milton park

Originally Posted by Daniel_Williams
I've lived in Montreal a total of nearly 6 years...here's my take.<BR><BR>I even walk in lower Cote des Neiges at night to get home; I've only felt ill-at-ease here a few times...typically between 1am and 3am on Saturday/Sunday, but generally I feel perfectly fine in this neighborhood.<BR><BR>What do I AVOID? Hmmm...well, I stay away from some of the Chinese buffet places on de la Gauchetiere (and Kim Foo downtown), as I think the quality of their buffets are DUBIOUS at best. But cheap, all-you-can-eat, even if questionable, does seem to attract customers. <BR><BR>As far as neighborhoods go, some people I know tell me to avoid Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (near Frontenac/Prefontaine metro), but I really have little experience with the area...and certain friends even like the area with its modest rents!<BR><BR>The West Island has a lot of dull strip malls and a whopping number of cookie-cutter residences that hold probably little interest for the visitor, but even there, there are some jewels of restaurants and the occasional quaint section.

Daniel,
Would you say that the Milton park area is a safe area to stay for a couple of days there with a teenager and a child?
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 03:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
ElviraD
Montreal has changed a lot in the past 16 years, you might want to start a new thread.