What area to stay in Montreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Montreal in June, and are trying to decide what area to stay in. We are late 20's early 30's. We would like to be close to restaurants, bars, shopping and we would like to experience the culture although our French is very rusty! We have found a few places in the Plateau area and Old Montreal. Also considering staying around St. Catherine st but have not found as much in that area. Any recommendations for the best area to stay? Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM

As a fellow late 20/early 30-something, whenever I go to Montreal, I always enjoy the Plateau the most, as that's where you get a real local neighbourhood vibe where the streets (like St-Denis and Mont Royal) are full of lounges, restaurants, cafes, and boutiques.

Old Montreal's businesses and restaurants tend to cater to tourists more than the locals. Many Montrealers recommend tourists to stay in Old Montreal, but I actually prefer the atmosphere around the Plateau because it caters to locals.

St.Catherine is a mix of retail franchises, chain restaurants, strip clubs and what have you. It feels very mainstream - lots of shopping malls and busy with window shoppers.

The good news is that all three areas are located close enough that you could walk between them. But when that's all said and done, I'd prefer walking back to the Plateau.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM

I second the Plateau area! We stayed there last summer and I enjoyed the restaurants, parks, neighborhood, and people.
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I will also join the consensus - the Plateau area. St Denis is possibly the livliest street in the city, closely followed by Prince Arthur, St Laurent, Crescent (downtown), and Mt Royal. Of course the old city is also very lively,lots of fun,and very picturesque, but for an area to stay, I prefer the plateau.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies, they are very helpful!
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Hi steph024,

I live in the Plateau and this neighbourhood does have its own style within Montreal. Hard to describe: a lot of Montreal's Quebecois artistic/Bohemian crowd live here and give the people-watching a unique look. Plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping and not of the mainstream variety. When I wasn't living here, I always felt drawn toward the vibe of this neighborhood like a moth to a flame, and was ALWAYS craving to be in the Plateau... so when I finally decided to buy a place, I waited patiently until the right place (near Parc Lafontaine) in the Plateau appeared. Let's just say, I have no regrets...

Daniel