Which area in Montreal for apt. rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an annual girls' GTG and this Sept. we are going to be in Montreal. We typically rent an apartment, and I see there are tons on VRBO and HomeAway.

Can anyone give me some guidance on which area to stay in? We will not have a car, prefer urban and centrally located.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM

There are many desirable neighborhoods in Montreal, but if it were me, I would try to stay in the Plateau area, which basically the northeastern portion of the downtown. The rough boundaries of the Plateau: Sherbrooke on the south, Papineau on the east, St. Joseph on the north, and Ave Du parc on the west. This neighborhood is rich with small shops, intersting restaurants (many byob), clubs, parks, quiet streets, bike paths and Metro stops. It also has a strong French influence, and is quite safe. The central downtown, which is centered roughly on St Catherine and University, is the business and shopping district, with lots of big stores, skyscrapers, offices, and restaurants. Also not a bad area to stay, although St Catherine near St Laurent has a bit of a seedy feel to it. Old Montreal has lots of charm and swarms of tourists. Prices are higher here for rooms and food.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 07:53 AM

Old Montreal (aka the Old City or the Old Port) is right in the heart of things and has some beautiful apartments, restaurants and is easy walking distance to most sights.
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful, I'll get looking and maybe get back to you for advice on specific apartments if that's ok. Many thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 02:59 PM

I'd definitely recommend the Plateau. I've spent time in Montreal for weeks at a time and the Plateau feels much more like a happening cosmopolitan local hangout for Montrealers - lots of cafes, restaurants, lounges, boutiques, whereas I find Old Montreal/the Old Port - thought beautiful and historic, is a tad too touristy - it's where the tourists go, but not where the locals go. Of course I'm generalizing, but the Plateau would be a better place for a home base - you're still near that you can drop by Old Montreal to check it out, but I find there's more happening in the Plateau.