Martimes Itinerary - Help needed.

Apr 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Martimes Itinerary - Help needed.

Going to the Maritimes in September/October and really need help on this itinerary (where to cut out, am I missing anything I should see, etc.). More of a activity/nature group. We will also have our dog with us, so any recommendations on places to stay or must-do hikes, best place to watch whales?

Day 1: Portland, Maine
Day 2: Drive to Acadia National Park (hike)
Day 3: Acadia National Park (hike)
Day 4: Acadia National Park (hike)
Day 5: Drive to Fundy National Park (where to stay?) Maybe to an excursion to Campabello Island (worth doing if we can literally just drive there and come back?)
Day 6: Hopewell Rocks (stay somewhere in Moncton?, but drive out to see both high and low tides)
Day 7: PEI
Day 8: PEI
Day 9: PEI
Day 10: From PEI (Hike Greenwich dunes) to Woods Island Ferry to Baddeck, NS
Day 11: Dingwall, Cape Breton
Day 12: Dingwall, Cape Breton (Meat Cove, Mount Pleasant Whale Watching)
Day 13: Dingwall, Cape Breton
Day 14: Drive to Pictou
Day 15: Drive to St. John, NB (Drive through Parrsboro to Truro)
Day 16: Portland, Maine

We were also thinking about going to Halifax, then to Digby, then taking the ferry to Saint John, but weren't sure if the drive times would exhaust us. So we figured we'd leave Halifax areas for another trip?

Apr 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Do you have reservations for ANP? Last summer we stayed at the Inn at Southwest Harbor but I don't know if they take dogs. It was lovely & quiet, not busy like Bar Harbor. Suggested restaurants at ANP: Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard & Tan Turtle Tavern in Northeast Harbor. Also recommend the lobster pound just before causeway to Mt. Desert Island. Don't remember the name. Recommend schooner cruise from Bar Harbor & hike to Otter Point. There is a great hike with scenic views from Sand Beach.

When you leave ANP, take the time to drive through Schoodic Peninsula. The scenery is BREATHTAKING!!! Campobello Island is worth a visit. We toured FDR's summer home & visted a lighthouse with great scenery. Do you have time to spend one night near Campobello? We stayed at Whiting Bay B&B in Whiting Bay, Maine, about 10 minutes from Campobello. We also went on a whale watch from ST. Andrews by the Sea, NB. It was FABULOUS!!! We saw whales. I am prone to seasickness but the water was very calm; the ship was calm; never got sick. It was great. I've always been reluctant to go on a whale watch because of fear of sea sickness but this was perfect!!!

Hope this helps!
Apr 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM

I think your itinerary sounds excellent
and that is pretty rare here.
Youve got a nice balance and have chosen
great base areas.
Have a great trip.
Apr 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM

You've done some research and made good choices. There are many good hiking possibilities in Fundy Park, so you might want to consider extra time there. It would make more sense to visit Campobello on the way to Fundy, rather than on a day excursion from Fundy.
On day 15, you're driving through Parrsboro on your way to Saint John. There is an area accessible from Parrsboro which is off the beaten track, but in my view one of the most spectacular in mainland NS. If you can add an extra day to your trip, I would suggest staying in Parrsboro (I can't vouch for any accommodation) and spending a day driving to Advocate Harbour and doing some hiking at Cape Chignecto as well as visiting Cape d'Or. Very few tourists ever find these places, but the views of the Bay of Fundy are incredible. You could hike a section of the Chignecto trail along the cliffs and then return along the beach, if the tide is right. We've done it a number of times (with our dog) and enjoyed it immensely, esp. on a sunny day.

Apr 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM

The hike at Greenwich Dunes is really nice (and not very long), but I'm not sure you can fit it in on Day 10 along with that long drive and the ferry. Keep in mind that you might not get on the first ferry, they can be busy and you'll have to wait.
The beach at Greenwich was great too. You could easily spend a whole day if you do the hike, and spend a couple hours on the beach. I highly recommend lunch at the Inn at St Peters which is right near Greenwich.

I don't know if they take dogs, but we stayed at the Captains Inn in Alma, near Fundy National Park. Alma is right on the edge of the park, and maybe 20 miles from Hopewell Rocks, so its a good location.

There are good whale watches from Bar Harbor. It's also fun to take the naturalist cruise to the Cranberry Islands out of Bar Harbor. Both leave from the town pier, and you can get tickets at the offices down on the harbor.
Apr 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
ltt

good job. i've went to most of these places a few years ago and you've made me very envious. have a great time.
don't know what the ferry schedule is now but if you wanted to do the southern route, you could leave pictou drive by halifax, yarmouth and stay in digby. i left digby on a very early morning ferry and arrived in saint john with plenty of day left to drive.
IMO - saint john is one city that is not worth spending time in.
Apr 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone! Just a quick follow-up question. I was planning on doing the Cabot trail counterclockwise - Is it worth doing to entire loop? Are there better hikes closer to the Baddeck/Ingonish (sp?) areas or worth going to the Iverness side as well? Also, per the last post, if you had to decide on the driving route from Halifax-to-Digby for the ferry to Saint John vs. Pictou-Parrsboro/Truro-toSaint John. Which is the nicer driver?
Apr 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
LJ

If you want a fast guide to waht is 'pet-friendly' in the way of accomodation in Canada, try this website: www.bbcanada.com

They have an easy-to-use symbol thingy for every listing. Several of the places that have been mentioned here are in that directory.

Have a great trip!