Sailing out of Buck Harbor ME- info needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of us [6 adults] will be chartering a boat out of Buck Harbor in mid July.

We would like to spend 3 nights prior to setting sail in the area, and a night when we return.

We want to rent a house/cottage/ condo [or something along those lines] with 3 bedrooms. I will look on vrbo -- but I don't even know the names of nearby towns. Can someone tell me what towns would work for us?

Also, where mightwe find a nice motel or hotel for the night we return?

I have looked at some places that might be nearby; a lot of them seems to be weekly rentals. I hope this isn't going to be an issue for us.

We will also need to lay in supplies - food [and adult beverages] do you have suggestions where we can do so? Do you have to buy beer and liquor at state stores?

Any interesting places to check out while we are in the area? We like to hike, and most outdoor activities.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like a great trip!

Re stocking supplies - oftentimes the villa rental company offers that service and IMO it's worth the cost to walk in the first night and have the stuff you want already there.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Supplies are needed for the boat portion of trip. We are doing a barebones charter. We will need to shop. I voted for having lobsters for every meal except breakfast - for some reason, I was overruled!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Deb, did you see this on Fodors?
http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...ew-433967.html

It sounds like Buck's Harbor Market in Brooksville ME is one option.

Have you been to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park before? If not, definitely head there for the hiking. If you go to Bar Harbor before the charter you'll have more shopping for supplies options.

Where are you cruising? I loved Prince Edward Island. That may be because I am such a L M Montgomery/ Anne of Green Gables fan. If you head Nova Scotia way, the Cape Breton NP area is an amazing drive.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Good link! Got me some names of towns. Found a few old posts too.

We are cruising Penoboscot Bay.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 03:24 AM

You should ask this question on Chowhound northern New England board. There are several people from Maine who are frequent contributors.

The Blue Hill area is lovely but more rural than other coastal regions. We haven't been that far north on the coast for awhile but according to Chowhound, a small local restaurant on the way is still in business. If you happen to be going thru around lunch time, Just Barb's is on Rt 1 Stockton Springs, before you get to Ellsworth.

The liquor stores in Maine aren't state run (that's NH). You will find wine and beer just about every place. The Cellar Door Winery in Lincolnville opened a store on Rt 1 near Camden. You can have a tasting and decide if you want to buy anything. We didn't care for the wine we bought at the Sow's Ear Winery in Brooksville but if you google it you will see a rave review plus some photos. It's very rustic.
If you're lucky, you'll still be able to find rhubarb pie. I can't remember when the blueberry season starts but you'll find trucks/cars along Rt 1 selling fresh berries. A terrific, simple desert is fresh blueberries and vanilla yogurt. You might be a little early for blueberries but fresh strawberries might still be around.
A check of the Maine's Dept of Agriculture website should give you a list of farmers markets. A large and very excellent one is in Brunswick on Fridays but that is too far south of where you will be. We usually pick up fresh bread, dessert items and veggies when we camp in that area. I think fresh muffins might be mandatory on a boat.
You might not have a lot of choices for a large supermarket in that area.